Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Animartis Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2009, 10:48 PM
    PVC Solvent - Did I use the wrong type?
    Hello,

I am replacing the schedule 40 black water drain piping in my laundry room wall and used the only solvent I had - Weld On 2735™ Wet ‘N Fast. Of course, after I installed the piping I read the fine print, which stated "the uniform plumbing code requires the use of a listed purple primer".

This is probably a stupid question but did I use the wrong type of solvent or miss a step? This is a non-pressurized drain, but I want to make sure I mind my P's and Q's. Can someone please offer some guidance or assurance?

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2009, 01:36 AM

From here: http://www.ipscorp.com/pdf/weldon/WeldOn_PB2735.pdf

"It can be used without a primer if local codes permit"

As long as the pipe was PVC, your fine.

However, black pipe is usually ABS which requires a different glue system.

Here http://www.oatey.com/Plumber/Shared/...d+Primers.html has some ABS and some ABS to PVC transitsion cement.

So, the question remains: were the pipes ABS. Did you replace with ABS or PVC? Is the joint PVC-ABS or ABS-ABS or PVC-PVC?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 2, 2009, 05:18 AM
    Are your plastic pipes white or black? Let me know, tom,

Nov 2, 2009, 01:11 PM

Thank you for the responses. It is ABS (black) not PVC and I ended up calling the vendor this morning. They stated that if I have an opportunity to replace the joints, I should because the ABS often has a foam core and the PVC solvent is very aggressive and could eat away too much material. Plus, when the solvent evaporates, PVC residue will be left instead of ABS. Thanks again for the quick responses, looks like I have some more work to do!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 2, 2009, 06:16 PM

You used PVC glue on ABS pipes. It is wrong. You have to purchase black ABS glue to get proper seal. No purple primer is necessary.
    Attached Images

Nov 3, 2009, 01:05 AM
    Thanks all. I redid the job with the proper ABS solvent and it worked like a charm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes Refund with wrong account type [ 2 Answers ]

The question is even though both account and routing number were correct will the refund Be sent back to the IRS because the wrong type of the account...

Drive wrong type [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 16gig flash drive when I plug it in a new drive letter appears but instead of a flash drive recognises it as a cd rom drive how do I fix problem

% of solvent [ 1 Answers ]

A bottle of 190 proof alcohol is 95% ethanol and 5% water. What is the solvent in this solution?

Keypad Plus and Decimal Buttons type wrong [ 3 Answers ]

I have read that many other folks have problems with their keyboards typing the wrong characters. My problem is with both my Decimal (.) and Plus (+) buttons on the keypad. Both type the same thing: +. Every time I press one, I get both the Plus and Decimal. These are the only two keys...

View more questions Search