Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kolby_vron Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2006, 12:33 PM
    Mini Daschund & lease walking
    Hello, my g/f and I just got a Mini daschund he's roughly four months old and doing well. He never walked on a leash before till us. He would be jumping all over the place like a fish out of water on the leash at first but has gotten much better now, and walks fine. But he tends to stop and sit every couple of feet and won't budge till he is ready, or you give him little tugs on the leash. It's almost like he makes sure the coast is clear to proceed. Anyone have this before?
    Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2006, 01:19 PM
    My Lab Holly is now just past 3 months. We had a of trouble getting her to move at first. We found dropping back and running in baby steps gets her moving. Bit of a nuisance. We also put her in a Gentle Leader at 11 weeks, which has made her much easier to walk.

It is a head collar. The leading brands are Promise, Haltie, and Gentle Leader. They have a strap going around the dogs nose looking something like a muzzle. They work by pulling the dogs head around. No other way gives you such great control with so little force. It is like a halter on a horse.
    kolby_vron Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2006, 01:26 PM
    Hey Thanks I'll look into the Gentle Leader.
    tre_cani Posts: 117, Reputation: 22

Nov 6, 2006, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    My Lab Holly is now just past 3 months. We had a of trouble getting her to move at first. We found dropping back and running in baby steps gets her moving. Bit of a nuisance. We also put her in a Gentle Leader at 11 weeks, which has made her much easier to walk.

It is a head collar. The leading brands are Promise, Haltie, and Gentle Leader. They have a strap going around the dogs nose looking something like a muzzle. They work by pulling the dogs head around. No other way gives you such great control with so little force. It is like a halter on a horse.
    I have used the Halti collar with great success on large breeds like Labs and Goldens and small breeds like Jack Russell Terriers and Corgis.

There is a good picture of it on this web site, along with a review of the product used on a Dachshund!
    http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...No=5&N=2026165
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Nov 6, 2006, 05:36 PM
    You have a very common problem in a puppy or dog that has never been on a leash or used to one. I also like the collars listed, BUT the same thing can happen. Encourage you pup with small tidbits, also if he isn't a chewer have him drag the leash around the house to become used to it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mini Daschund pottie issue 1 yo [ 1 Answers ]

My female doxie is a year as of July she still insists on getting up at least 2x EVERY night and if I miss her she goes and poops or pees in the bathroom. I am seriously drained from getting up twice at night but don't like the alternative. She also has been occasionally peeing on the couch like...

Mini Daschund Having Seizures [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 5 yr old male, mini daschund who has recently started having seizures. I'm not familiar with the breed and actually didn't acquire him until he was 4 yrs and from a stranger so I don't know his history. Are seizures a common medical condition for this breed?

Mini Daschund Bladder Problems [ 2 Answers ]

My year old mini daschund has been holding his urine for long periods. When he does go he goes a lot. Sometimes he will start walking away while he is still peeing. He is also peeing unexpectedly when he never used too. Any suggestions?+

Mini-Daschund w/ ear problems [ 1 Answers ]

We brought home a 1 year old mini-daschund about 2 months ago. He is great, but about 2 days ago he started scratching his ears and rubbing them on the carpet and whining. I have cleaned the edges out with Q-tips and was able to clean out some brown gunk, but although he was very still, I was...

Mini daschund pregnancy [ 3 Answers ]

Can anybody tell me how long a mini daschund pregnancy lasts? I think my mini might have gotten pregnant on her last heat?

View more questions Search