Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2009, 11:00 AM
    Looking for some programs?
    I am in need of some software. I would really like it to be free or pretty close to it.

1.) WinVNC server activeX. I have found the program, some easy installs and stuff like that, however the only activeX I found was over $1,000USD and I couldn't get the trial version to work. I wouldn't mind spend $10-$20 on it, but not $1,000. I found a couple how to's on compiling my own from source code, however I haven't found the source code for WinVNC readily available. The official site says something about the directory being screwed up. On top of that I am not so good with programming yet.

2.) I am looking for something a little more impossible. Is there a program that can provide access to ports. I know how firewalls work for the most part, however I think I have a way around them. I have found programs that have a wizard to configure your router, but that's not what I am looking for.

Many routers and firewalls leave open high numbered ports. Most services that windows offers that are capable of doing harm are blocked (FTP, SSH, HTTP) in some way. There are other issues besides firewalls that would benefit from this program.

Here's how it goes:

The program has to basic functions outgoing and incoming...
    Incoming would be capable of listining on any port specified and transfer that data to another specified port, probably a virtual port or something that the program could recognize. Purpose: Some firewalls or router block certain ports that a program uses, however the program has no way to specify the listening port. The outgoing option would be able to configure what port was being broadcasted.
    Out going would do the exact opposite. It would take an outgoing port and then rebroadcast it on a separate port. Purpose: to work in sync with the incoming end and also to open a blocked port for another program.

Here is a place where that would come in real handy. I set up a dvr system, so many outgoing ports were blocked by the isp and so many being used by the pos that we settled on 79. In order to access the dvr remotely you open your web browser and type the domain:port. However, I found that Firefox likes to not display any info form anything that uses 79. The dvr was only restricted to low end ports, what if we ran the program and rebroadcasted 79 on 5555 or something. Then I could type domain:5555 and it would work.

Any help with the first would be amazing, the second, I am not expecting much with.

Thanks in advance...
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2009, 11:04 AM

On the second piece of software, wouldn't it be nice if it included a scanner until it found an open unused port. Then if the host didn't have the same one open as the client then it would some sort of web proxy that would connect the two different ports...

Maybe some day I will learn to program and build this.
    GrantHillsSA Posts: 405, Reputation: 9

Nov 7, 2009, 08:37 PM

Try Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com or Free Software and Shareware Downloads - Tucows

Search for Remote Admin software, then select your price range :)
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2009, 11:09 AM
    I use CNET all the time... I will definitely look on Tucows.

Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Must Have/Useful Programs [ 66 Answers ]

I thought it would be a good idea to get a list of useful programs that we could keep here. If a mod comes across this - could you sticky it please. It would be quite helpful. I'm bound to have missed some programs, so if there is some that you think should be on this list - post here or PM me...

How to change rar programs into zip programs [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to ask how can I change the rar files into a zip files in my PC and then move then to my phone because my phone is not accepting any rar file and I would like to download some programs as the unidictionary and a recorder without peeb so please help meeeeeeeee.

Pc fix programs [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all does anyone know of any program I can download that will scan my PC for errors and not ask me for payment at the end of it? Thanks for reading x

Programs didn't come [ 4 Answers ]

When my computer was sent out for repair, it went through the "System Recovery" process. When it came back, it didn't have many programs (it had Quicken, random games, etc. but not much else). I put in the Applications Recovery CD & it added a few more programs (i.e. Adobe Acrobat, Windows Media...

Programs [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a free download that will help me find all the programs on my computer and remove the old, duplicate, or unused ones safely

View more questions Search