Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pinecone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2009, 05:46 AM
    Vehicle searches by police
    Is it legal for police to look in a person vehicle for evidenc through a closed window
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2009, 11:58 AM

Yes. It's a visual search. Window open or closed does not matter. Whatever is in pain sight is fair game.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2009, 01:27 PM
    They can look for anything in plain sight if there's probable cause to do so. For example, if you were driving erratically, suggesting the possibility of being under the influence, they can look for signs of alcohol or other drugs. Again, it can't go beyond anything "in plain view" ; they can't intrusively search your car unless they have a warrant.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 1, 2009, 07:09 PM

In a parked car they may look into any window

In a car they do a traffic stop on, they may look in any window, and even phsycially search the area where the driver is sitting for safety reasons ( any area within reach of the driver)
    *** this is in Georgia and TN)

If the car is impounded, while they can't "search" it, they do have to ( or allowed to) do a car inventory of all items in the car to be sure everything is returned to the owner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Warrant searches for free [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I go to see if someone has an arrest warrant for free

Can my Google searches be tampered with? [ 3 Answers ]

Is it possible for a virus to affect the search words that come up in my Google drop down box?:confused:

Wife's internet searches [ 10 Answers ]

Married for 8 years. 4 years ago, when I went to use the computer after my wife was on it, I noticed that the last page she left on the web browser was a people search site and her ex-boyfriend's name was typed in. My natural instinct was to covertly find out how involved she was in this endeavor...

How do I keep my internet searches private [ 7 Answers ]

I share a computer with other people :family and visiting neighbors logging in daily, how can I keep my internet searches private from public view? How do I make it impossible for them to look any of my searches up?

View more questions Search