Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dad777 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2009, 11:24 AM
    Replacing thermostat with programmable thermostat
    I just bought a Robertshaw 9600 programmable thermostat to replace Robertshaw 9500.
    My old thermostat ( Robertshaw 9500 ) has R, W, Y, B , O , G with R(ed) connected to RC and others connected to their corresponding colors.

New Thermostat has only RH, RC, W,Y,G. There is no room to connect B(lue) and O(range). Can anyone guide me as to how to connect these wires. Should tape Y & O and ignore them ?

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2009, 11:43 AM

You purchased a conventional, not a heat pump thermostat, so it won't work.

You need a 1H/1C heat pump thermostat. 1H means 1 stage of heat.

There are only a few stats that use O and B together and they are usually used for zoned systems. A lot of stats are using O or B. You just change the active cool or active heat in the setup.

You do need to determine which of O or B is used in the air handler.

B can be (24 Vac Common) in some Trane units.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing old honeywell thermostat with new programmable [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am in the process of replacing an old honeywell thermostat (Q539A1014) that was installed by a HVAC prof. about two years ago. We wanted to upgrade to a programmable thermostat. We purchased a RTH6300B Honeywell. I was told by the home improvement store this was compatible and...

Replacing T874C1018 (Honeywell multi-stage ) with RTH221 (programmable thermostat) [ 6 Answers ]

I am replacing a honeywell mutlistage thermostat with a programmable one. All of the wire designations seem pretty clear, except that the programmable unit does not have a designation for location w2 (this is a blue wire that's being used with the current thermostat.. do I put w1 and w2together...

Replacing mechanical thermostat with programmable [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for help from labman or any experienced HVAC person... here goes... I recently purchased 2 Honeywell Focus Pro 6000 programmable model TH6110D1005 thermostats (I have 2 zone heating). I'm a replacing a mechanical honeywell dial mercury thermostats (Probably about 20 years old or...

How do I match wiring when replacing a programmable thermostat? [ 6 Answers ]

Had to replace the programmable thermostat. Instructions weren't clear to me as far as what jumper settings of on or off looked like. Does "on" indicate placing the plastic piece over the jumper posts? I have 5 wires, White, Yellow, Red (which was connected to RH, then had a piece of wire...

Replacing Analog Thermostat with Non-Programmable Digital Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Replacing Analog thermostat with White, Yellow, Red, & Black wiring with non-programmable digital thermostat Model #RTH3100C. Please help!!

View more questions Search