Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Network_Admin Posts: 35, Reputation: 4

Oct 31, 2009, 09:36 AM
    More Problems . Pressure Switch Submersible Well
    Hi -

My pressure switch is short cycling or rapid cycling. Basically the points in the pressure switch are cutting on and off at a very, very rapid pace. Something is sure to be damaged soon. I had a plumber out the other day, but it would not do it when he was here.

The pressure switch is new, the Bladder tank is not new. The Bladder Tank has about 28 pounds of air in it. If I use my portable air tank to try and add air, it will stop and I can't get the air in the Bladder tank to go up any higher, so I don't know if something is wrong with the bladder tank or not.

When this is happening, the pipes shake violently, and even at the well head you can see them moving.

Any ideas of what I can try now ?

If you have read my other posts, here is a quick recap of what has been done as of late -

Wire from pressure switch to pump head has been replaced, breaker trip issue stopped.

Pressure switch and pressure gauge has been replaced, pressure switch was clogged with rust.

Inline sand filter was replaced with sand tank.

Thanks for your help in advance.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2009, 09:53 AM

That shortcycling is usually due to a waterlogged pressure tank, meaning, in your case, the bladder is ruptured and the tank is full of water. With little to no air in the tank, you don't have much to generate pressure. You can check this by simply depressing the air valve at the top for a few seconds. If water comes out, then you have your answer. You can also use a wrench to tap up the side of the tank, starting at the bottom and working your way up. You can tell when you get to air by the sound or tone of the tapping. You should hit air about midways. The only fix is to replace the pressure tank.

BTW, if you want to add air to the tank, you have to drain water as you add air. Open a couple of faucets, then gradually add air as the tank empties of water. You can do that as a short term answer until you can get a new tank.

Oct 31, 2009, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    That shortcycling is usually due to a waterlogged pressure tank, meaning, in your case, the bladder is ruptured and the tank is full of water. With little to no air in the tank, you don't have much to generate pressure. You can check this by simply depressing the air valve at the top for a few seconds. If water comes out, then you have your answer. You can also use a wrench to tap up the side of the tank, starting at the bottom and working your way up. You can tell when you get to air by the sound or tone of the tapping. You should hit air about midways. The only fix is to replace the pressure tank.

BTW, if you want to add air to the tank, you have to drain water as you add air. Open a couple of faucets, then gradually add air as the tank empties of water.

That is what is very strange, here is what I have done lately -

Turned Off Water Pump at the Breaker - Drained all the water from the system with a hose, at that point, I used my tire pressure gauge and attempt to ad air with my air tank, it will only pump air in for so long, then it will just stop, can't really get the pressure up past 25-30.

I do not get any water when I depress the air valve, just air and if I check it a few times I am back with low pressure 15 lbs or so and I have to try and add air again.

When I tap the tank it sounds pretty solid from bottom to near halfway, after halfway it starts to clang.

I'm with you, I don't really know what else to do but replace the pressure tank, even if my symptoms don't really match up.
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2009, 11:09 AM

Net, it sounds like you are using a portable pressure tank. Could it be that it adds air to the tank until the pressure in the two equalizes? What pressure are you pumping the portable tank up to?

Since it sounds like this is intermittent, I would do this. When it's doing this, watch your pressure gauge. If the gauge is holding fairly steady, then I would look more at the switch. I know it's new, but it's a cheap swap.

The bottom line is this. All the pressure tank can do is maintain pressure. That's where your gauge comes in. If the gauge is showing steady pressure, then the tank would not seem to be the problem. If you are talking about the points opening/closing several times in just a few seconds, then that sure seems like a switch problem.

BTW, did you replace the little pipe going to the switch?

Oct 31, 2009, 02:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Net, it sounds like you are using a portable pressure tank. Could it be that it adds air to the tank until the pressure in the two equalizes? What pressure are you pumping the portable tank up to?

Since it sounds like this is intermittent, I would do this. When it's doing this, watch your pressure gauge. If the gauge is holding fairly steady, then I would look more at the switch. I know it's new, but it's a cheap swap.

The bottom line is this. All the pressure tank can do is maintain pressure. That's where your gauge comes in. If the gauge is showing steady pressure, then the tank would not seem to be the problem. If you are talking about the points opening/closing several times in just a few seconds, then that sure seems like a switch problem.

BTW, did you replace the little pipe going to the switch?
    When it's doing the rapid cycling the pressure gauge is bouncing violently from bottom to top, yes the pressure tank is probably equalizing, I can't only get it pumped up to 60 or 80 pounds at the local service stations. Right now the issue is pretty much all the time, it will rapid cycle and only stop when there is no call for water, when it's stopped, the pressure gauge is steady. When the water runs in the house, it pulses rythmically as the switch cuts in and out.

Yea guess I can swap the switch quickly
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2009, 02:26 PM

This is a little strange. What you are describing, the gauge swinging wildly up and down, points directly to a waterlogged tank. Your system holds pressure when the pump is off, so we don't look at the check valve. However, you have stated the tank is not full of water. Even stranger, you say this does not happen all the time. Those two items say the tank is OK.

So, I'm at a loss. Any ideas out there?

I will add this: If I was you, I would do this. Turn off the system and use a low level faucet to drain the tank. As it drains, use your portable tank to get pressure in the pressure tank to 30# or so. Make sure the tank gets fairly well drained. That way, you know the tank is not going to fill with water. Turn the system back on and see what happens. If the problem goes away, then the tank is the problem. If the problem continues, you'll have to look elsewhere. My bet: The problem is going to go away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adjusting pressure on Pumptrol Pressure Switch [ 9 Answers ]

Model #9013FSG2J21BP

Low pressure from submersible well pump [ 10 Answers ]

I'll summarize what my situation is and what I've done so far. Pressure tank doesn't fill with water Pressure tank air pressure is 28 PSI Tried installing brand new pressure switch and water pressure gauge Water pressure gauge rose to 26 PSI when I turned the pump breaker back on It stays at...

Deep well, pressure tank/switch not building pressure [ 13 Answers ]

The only way I have water pressure is to leave the power on! I have replaced the 5 gallon pressure tank (28psi when void of water)/fittings/pressure gauge and tried 3 new 30/50 pressure switches and the problem remains the same. With the power off, the pressure drops to 0 (not 30). When I...

Goodman limit switch/pressure switch? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a goodman furnace (mod. # GHT070-3) it's about 5 years old. Recently, the heat will only kick on for about 30 seconds then shut off. It's giving me 4 flashes: Open limit switch, then it kicks off. After that it gives me 3 flashes and turns back on (pressure switch). It seems the...

View more questions Search