Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bspkumar Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2009, 11:24 PM
    How to calculate the max RAM size and Hard disk size for 32 bit and 64 bit OS?
    I would like to know the factors that limits the max size of RAM and Hard disk and how they are calculated.

Thank you.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2009, 12:15 AM

32 bit systems can see and access 3.2gb memory even if more is installed
    64 fit systems can access above and beyond 4gb

Here some info also
    http://www.breakitdownblog.com/is-64...should-i-care/

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...6-77055582eff6
    bspkumar Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2009, 02:31 AM

Thank you for the reply.

I have already calculated the max size of the RAM using binary method. But,

2^32 = 4294967296 bits
    4 Gb = 4294967296 bytes ( 8 * 4294967296 )

?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2009, 05:44 AM

You can see some of the address limits of the various processors here: Intel Microprocessor Quick Reference Guide - Product Family

In reality, it depends on how many bits were implemented, not how many are available.

For hard disks, you had n 512 byte sectors that could be addressed. As the drives got bigger, the 512 or clustersize had to get bigger, then eventually the fundamental file system had to change.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to calculate size of air intake for air conditioner [ 3 Answers ]

We have replaced our air conditioner and it has a higher capacity than the old one. We were told to increase the size of our air intake, but I am not sure how they calculated the square footage (they told us to double the size). How do you calculate the proper size of the air intake? Any...

Queen size headboard/full size bed frame and matress [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to put a queen size headboard on a full size bed frame and matress. Will this work? I am trying to purchase the headboard off Craigslist and need to know ASAP! Thanks for any help

File size on hard disk [ 5 Answers ]

Sir, Please give me the solution for this problem, The file size of my production doesn't exceed the max. size (4gb) allowed by the windows file system of the hard disk I am saving it on. Thanks, S.K.JAIN

How do I calculate wire size for under cabinet lighting [ 13 Answers ]

I am about to purchase Kichler under cabinet lights. I am installing the wire needed. How do I calculate the proper size if these are 12 volt, 18 watt xenon bulbs? Do I just add the total number of lights up in all the fixtures (for example 10 lights) and multiply by 18 watts (10 bulbs x 18 W =...

How can I figure out the size of a hard disk in .ASM Language? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem in trying to determine the size of a hard disk > 8Gb, in assembly language, because int13 extensions are not supported. If someone could suggest how to do this, I would grately appreciate it. I would also want to know if I could determine the model, name and vendor of the hard...

View more questions Search