Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vegasbusa Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2009, 05:31 PM
    Test a fan in ac unit?
    Without pulling it out of the unit, is there a way to test a fan? I took the red and green wires off the tstat and put them together and still no fan. I put a new capacitor in and still get nothing. I wanted to see if there is a way to easily test the fan to see if it works. Thanks.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 30, 2009, 05:36 PM
    Take a 120 volt jumper cord and attach it to the motor power leeds. Now if it is a 240 volt unit then you can do the same but you will need a 240 volt power source.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2009, 05:37 PM
    Trace the wires from the fan,, where they tie to or hook up,with a multi-meter check both legs for power,230 volts,if there is power and the fan doesn`t work, well you must have a bad motor, as long as you are sure the capicitor was replaced with the exact replacment
    vegasbusa Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2009, 05:53 PM

It looks as though there are more than just two wires going to the fan, which ones do I hook up power to? The unit is a carrier and it says "Cobra" on the door.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2009, 06:57 PM

Connect to the white and black wire coming out of the motor, make sure that the brown wire and the brown wire are conndeted to a separate capacitor that it called for to be use with that motor.. If you hear a buss try to spin the motor fast just in case the start capacitor is not good. Now if you don't get the motor to run I am afraid you have a bad motor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pleasy let me know how the capacity of a Air Handling unit or a Packaged unit is dete [ 1 Answers ]

Please let me know what factors should be measured to assertain the capacity of a AHU or a Packaged unit. What does it mean by on coil temperature and off coil temperature ?

Can I connect new outside unit to older inside unit for a heat pump? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a heatpump system. The outside unit is very old and is different manufacturer than the newer (9yr old) inside unit. Outside unit has gone bad. Can I connect a new TRANE Outside unit with SEER of 13 to my 9 year old TRANE inside unit with SEER of 10 which still seems to be working...

Rheem-heat-pump-outside-unit-humming but blower unit working [ 3 Answers ]

I have a heat pump and ac unit outside. The inside blower fan still working but the outside unit humming. Are there any quick fixes here

Changed from separate cooling & heating unit to combined unit [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mobile home & when it was set up in 96 we had separate cooling & heating units run off one thermostat. We had a 3 ton ac unit & an electric furnace inside for heat. This past summer we bought a 4.5 ton ac & heating combined unit. We hooked up to wiring that old ac unit was hooked up to...

Size of ac unit needed to match a carrrier heating unit [ 3 Answers ]

I had a Carrier natural gas heating unit installed in 2003. Model number 58STA/STX 070 Catalog number 535-80105. My ac unit has gone out and the company I bought the heating unit from has gone out of business. What size ac unit will match the heating unit? Thanks so much!:cool:

View more questions Search