Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mechanickid Posts: 248, Reputation: 5

Oct 30, 2009, 01:24 PM
    Licensing for the homeowner in Michigan.
    Hello,

I just have a quick question; I live in Michigan and I am going to be remolding a cottage and I am wondering if I am able to do the wiring myself and have it inspected without being a licensed electrician. I will have a licensed electrician installing a new panel though.
    Ive done a lot of wiring before but I have never done anything on this scope, so I definitely want to have it inspected.
    Thanks
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2009, 01:43 PM

Legally you must have this inspected if you take out a building permit for this work. Are you highly familiar with your state wiring codes? If not, then hire the pro to do this work otherwise you could end up with an inspection problem that would have to be corrected.

Oct 30, 2009, 02:04 PM

Not highly familiar but somewhat, but I am saying I want to get this inspected but want to save money since I know I can do the work.

If there is a problem, won't he just tell me how it has to be, and I can fix it?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2009, 02:36 PM
    Try contacting the state of Michigan, and check with them, you can start here:

DELEG - Electrical Permit Information
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2009, 03:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanickid View Post
    Not highly familiar but somewhat, but i am saying i want to get this inspected but want to save money since i know i can do the work.

if there is a problem, wont he just tell me how it has to be, and i can fix it?
    Some inspectors will not tell you how to fix a problem, others will. It's not their job to tell you how to fix a problem to make it pass code. Tip: when dealing with any inspector, keep in mind that they have the final say so and treat them with upmost respect. You'll get further.

Oct 30, 2009, 05:12 PM

So, then I license is not needed for the inspection to pass if the wiring is to code?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 30, 2009, 08:03 PM

The owner of the property may do the work, but it has to pass inspection.

Many inspectors may be tougher on you but then others will just inspect.

Don't expect them to tell you how to fix anything, most have to give a written report of what failed.

Oct 30, 2009, 09:23 PM

Yea, well I had no expectation of them telling me how to fix what failed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Business Licensing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Are there any specific licenses that I need, other than a business license, to run a pool cleaning and repair business? Thanks

Business licensing [ 4 Answers ]

Do I need a business licence for painting in the state of Washington

Maryland licensing [ 1 Answers ]

How do I obtain a painting license in the state of Maryland , and what type of insurance will I need .

Registering and Licensing [ 2 Answers ]

Lol as most of you know, I just got my dog here two weeks ago come tomorrow. Since it is so late in the year we are waiting until next month to get his tags from the town. It's going to cost us 30 dollars since our boy is not fixed. Searching around in the area I live in "kings county" I notced...

View more questions Search