Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ichko Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2009, 12:27 PM
    Wireless card 'causing slow boot up
    Hello!
    I have a strange problem with my wireless card. I'm doing a fresh installation of xp sp2. I'm loading drivers (drivers ONLY) , my wireless card is intel pro 3945abg. So there is no AV or spyware software. MSCONFIG is empty. There is nothing in services as well except the ms ones. So I'm connecting nicely to any router or ad-hoc network. Everything is great. I'm loading some software like office, winrar (or 7zip) flash player . Then I reboot. And for the wireless icon is taking approx. 5-6 min. to show. During that time I can open control panel and some other soft. BUT IF I CLICK ON - connect to (from start menu) or if I go to control panel then network connections the computer lag badly till the wireless icon show up. So if I disable the wireless card from the hard key on my laptop - doesn't help. But if I do so from windows - like: control panel, network connections, right click on the wireless connection then disable or from device manager the laptop is starting perfectly. There is also another way - if I configure a static IP address - then the laptop is starting fine with the wireless card enable. As soon as I switch to automatic ip address then the nightmare starts again. So I'm trying to squeeze something from the forums but NOTHING SO FAR - advices like disable startup programs and services, untick of ENABLE LMHOSTS lookup or disable NetBIOS (in WINS settings) doesn't work :mad: applying SP3 also didn't help at all. And I have exactly the same problem with different laptop with intel link 1000 wireless card or something like that. HELLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!!
    Network_Admin Posts: 35, Reputation: 4

Oct 31, 2009, 08:45 PM

Are you using the latest drivers from the Intel Website ? If this is happening from two different computers, than there could be an issue with the wireless Router, or the Firmware of the wireless router needs to be updated, something is causing a delay with the DHCP negotiation.

Also, try disabling all security on the Access point, and try again while connecting unsecured. If this was only happening on one computer, I would be more suspicious of the wireless card itself, because they do go bad, or at leat the radio in them goes bad.

Nov 1, 2009, 09:43 AM
    Hi network_admin thanks for the reply! I'm 100% sure that this problem is in the laptop it self, 'cause this thing happening even with no existence of APs or wireless routers. There must be something that I have to disable in the registry or in the services but I don't know what. I need a DHCP on - but I think u're on the right way. Uninstall and install of the card's drivers doesn't help.
    That's happening on my laptop with latest drivers installed and as I said my wireless card is intel 3945abg and I have the same problem on wireless card (something like intel link 1000) on my friend's laptop. My laptop is HP compaq nc4400 which is about 3 years old and running some intel 945 chipset I think and my friend got brand new hp some nice model can't get the full specs right now. The strange thing is that I'm loading new windows, I'm doing some software installations but very lite as I said.

Nov 1, 2009, 09:44 AM
    Hi network_admin thanks for the reply! I'm 100% sure that this problem is in the laptop it self, 'cause this thing happening even with no existence of APs or wireless routers. There must be something that I have to disable in the registry or in the services but I don't know what. I need a DHCP on - but I think u're on the right way. Uninstall and install of the card's drivers doesn't help.
    That's happening on my laptop with latest drivers installed and as I said my wireless card is intel 3945abg and I have the same problem on wireless card (something like intel link 1000) on my friend's laptop. My laptop is HP compaq nc4400 which is about 3 years old and running some intel 945 chipset I think and my friend got brand new hp some nice model can't get the full specs right now. The strange thing is that I'm loading new windows, I'm doing some software installations but very lite as I said.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AAV in Kitchen Sink causing slow draining. [ 4 Answers ]

I have an older home and the sink in the kitchen does not have venting. I installed an AAV to the sink and it worked well for a month or so but now it is the problem. The AAV is now stopping water from draining. Not sure if this helps, but I have a dishwater hooked up as well. Even with the...

Wireless zero configuration takes a long time to startup when I boot up laptop [ 11 Answers ]

I have a laptop with a built in network adapter, I believe intel 3945ABG wireless adapter. I use windows to manage my wifi because I don't like the intel pro set program. I recently am experiencing this problem. When I boot up my computer and log in to my account, it takes a good 2 or 3 minutes for...

Slow boot/low cpu usage [ 3 Answers ]

It takes a very long time for my computer to boot up. My cpu usage runs anywhere from 4%to13%. I have cleaned up, defragged,virus scanned, gotten rid of all spyware turned off programs running in the background,(ones that I thought were safe to turn off)and re-booted. Now what?

Slow boot [ 5 Answers ]

When I boot up it takes about 2 minutes to boot any advice.:confused:

Ethernet connection slow, wireless is fine [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am using the Actiontec MI-424WR or MI424WR router that I am provided by verizon. My service provides 15 Mbps down 2 Mbps up. When I first got the service earlier this month tests done at speakeasy showed 15/1.7 which was normal. The past week or so, my connection has deteriorated to being...

View more questions Search