Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bolo64 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2009, 07:36 PM
    Abused dog
    We just got a 5 month old aus cattle dog from a person who has keppt her and 2 sisters in a 3 by 3 pen all their lives they were laying in their own feces and urine when we took her. She is so skittish it is hard to get her to come to us and we have to carry her outside. My hoa does not allow outside dogs and we want her as an indoor pet, we have 2 other dogs as company. How can I train her when she knows nothing but laying in her own waste. Any hints? I left her with my fem terrier mix the first night in a 6 by 3 area and they were both covered in urine in the morning. Our house is lg and we have over an acre to run in but she has to be an indoor dog. Zi could not believe the condition she was kept in if we did not already have 2 dogs I would have taken her sisters too.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2009, 07:39 PM

This will take time, a lot of time - I've had more than a few abused dogs and until they knew they could trust me, until they figured out they were here to stay, what the rules were, they had a very difficult time. Give her some time (and I know it's difficult) but she doesn't know any other way to behave.

Are you notifying authorities and friends in an attempt to rescue the other puppies?
    bolo64 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2009, 07:48 PM

I did not notify authoritities I got her from a canine cop that trains police dog
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2009, 08:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bolo64 View Post
    i did not notify authoritities i got her from a canine cop that trains police dog

I would still report the conditions - you know the other dogs are living in their own filth and doing nothing?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Oct 30, 2009, 05:06 AM

Positive reinforcement... lots of love. Remember she knows nothing besides the neglected life she was living, don't give up on her, she will probably make your most loyal pet as soon as she knows she can trust you.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Nov 1, 2009, 01:56 PM

I did not notify authoritities I got her from a canine cop that trains police dog
    This is not even remotely an excuse for this man to treat these poor dogs this way. If anything he is much more at fault because he should know better. This is not a case of ignorance, just plain neglect.

This man treating dogs this way actually jeopardizes more then just the dogs he abuses if he trains dogs to be used for police work. Dogs that suffer from abuse and neglect often have long running mental issues, which is something you do not want in a dog that is suppose to help keep people safe. What if this dog encounters a traumatic trigger while on duty and someone gets hurt?

Please report this man for the good of everyone!!
    energyze Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Nov 3, 2009, 02:11 PM

I would agree with all that has been said. I have a lurcher that is 1/2 aus cattle dog and they are the most wonderful, quirky loving dogs.
    However, one thing I would say, is that dogs do live in the moment. We may feel pity etc for them for the lives that they have led, but this is not going to help your dog.
    He will learn a lot from your other 2 dogs, they will be his pack, and I would advise that you do not treat him any differently to them. |You are pack leader, he will get his security from you and the rest of the pack. Firm, kind, consistencey will be the best thing you can do for him. Do not pamper him or make excuses for him because of his past traetment. Dogs do not have the same assosciation that we humans do. Yes it was awful, but that was then, this is now and you have to start as you maen to carry on.
    You train her the way you would with any other dog. Bear in mind her past, but continue with positive reinforcement- ie- ignore the behaviour you don't want, praise the behaviour you want.
    |Good luck x
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Nov 3, 2009, 03:05 PM

Energyze that is very good advise and very true. There I a lot that will be learned from the other dogs. And right as well that this dog will soon be your most loyal pet. We rescued a dog from somewhat smlar situations and honestly I didn't know when he would get it... but patience and love and they do get it. Dogs aim to please. They want to please and the love that is given when they learn to trust and behave the way they want to is priceless.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Am I being abused? [ 7 Answers ]

I have been married for 7yrs now, no kids and we live with my parents. We have gone through many ups and downs together and we are in our early thirties and still argue about the same things we did when we were first together... I was fat when my husband married me and I still am with an extra...

The ex used and abused. Now what to do? [ 5 Answers ]

Hey guys! Is anyone struggling with the WAY post break up/ my ex has come back and used/abused me again? Here's some background 3 year high school relationship Dumped me in late nov 2008 Got new girlfriend EARLY dec 2008 Went nc and deleted him May 2009 - think I'm over it so we slowly...

I'm being abused [ 2 Answers ]

I'm being abused by my mom since ever. I don't noe what is wrong with her but whenever I'm home she'll come up to me and hit, choke, pull me.. for no IN reason. My mom's name is phoua and she thinks she could control my life.. and every time after school I never want to come home and everyday I...

Like being abused [ 8 Answers ]

Yea so I'm trying to figure out why I like when my girlfriend hits me and hurts me both physically and mentally like calling me names like insulting me and I don't know its just hot to me and she wants to know why but I don't know either just wondering I anyone has some helpful suggestions

Can the Internet be abused? [ 8 Answers ]

One of the great things about the internet today,is that anyone anywhere can get their message across to others,no matter who they are,or where they are.Apart from a few repressive areas of the world,most of us with web access can look up the news,info,music,movies,even those awful jpegs of Aunt...

View more questions Search