Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Oct 29, 2009, 05:37 PM
    Remote Power Switch Using USB Port to Control
    I would like to do something that may never have been tried, although it seems simple enough. But before I get out the old soldering iron, maybe there is already a device that exists to do it.

I bought a 1.5TB FreeAgent backup drive. I plan to format it and load my Rebit backup software (a very cool program similar to Time Machine for Macs) that does some stuff that the FreeAgent can't do..

Issue: The original FreeAgent software will spin down the drive after 15 minutes of being idle (nice feature). The Rebit software was originally designed for a portable backup drive that is USB powered, so when the PC was turned off, off went the backup drive.

But the FreeAgent Drive uses an AC adapter that allows it to run all the time, 24/7. I know I can just unplug it, but that is not so cool, and I would probably forget.

I was thinking of making, or hopefully buying, a remote device that plugs into a PCs USB port to switch on a relay that would in turn switch on the AC power to the FreeAgent drive. Essentially this would power up and down the backup drive with the PC.

In terms of design, the USB would power a relay that would switch the AC power.

Does anyone know of a device like this that already exists?

Also, would like to know the maximum current a USB port can supply, in case I go the relay route.

Any other ideas would also be appreciated.

Thanks...

Oct 29, 2009, 05:45 PM

Well, here is the idea...

A USB Power Controled Plug Strip. With Isolation.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2009, 05:59 PM

I believe, not sure, that without negotiation to raise the power level, it would be 5 V at 100 mA. Max for root hubs is 5 V at 1A

Oct 30, 2009, 06:30 AM

Thanks,

Are you saying the Max output for a USB port is 100mA?

I don't know what a root hub is (good up to 1A)?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2009, 07:48 AM

There is a whole bunch of stuff here: USB.org - Welcome

I just don't have the time to go through it.

USB has two power levels available and I'm not sure if you have to enable the high power output. Meaning, I think, you have to establish communication and then raise the ouput. You'll have to look at the docs.

2 pins are data and 2 pins are +5 power.

Some USB ports don't have the ability to operate at the high power levels. If you look at the device manager you will see entries labeled Root hub.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting remote control ceiling fan to 3-speed wall switch [ 1 Answers ]

Customer has ceiling fan which is only remote control. We want to wire a wall 3-speed wall switch instead of the remote. The fan unit only has intrernal wiring for the remote use. It has 4 wires going to the motor for speed control. How do I connect these wires to a single incoming hot wire...

Connect a port on a remote switch to a secure segment on the local switch [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 Netvanta 1224R switches. On the main switch I have 3 Vlans setup. Vlan1 = main network (example IP 123.231.5.1) Vlan2 = Web Access (Example IP 69.115.851.202) Vlan3 = Secure segment (Example IP 123.231.8.1) On the remote switch I have 1 Vlan. Vlan1 = Main network (example IP...

The dip switch on a remote control [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, yesterday I learned that to change the frequency on the remote that runs my ceiling fan, I need to adjust the dip switch. Right now, I have two fans that are on the same frequency and when I turn one on, the one in the other room comes on too. So I need to adjust the remote and the canopy? ...

Remote Control Ceiling Fan to Hardwire Switch [ 5 Answers ]

Hi ~ I just bought a Harbor Breeze 52” Avian Ceiling Fan (Model #75849) from Lowe's. Unfortunately, this model comes with a remote control function and I need to hardwire it. The sales representative convinced me that all I need to do is to throw away the ceiling fan remote control and receiver...

Wireless remote power control [ 3 Answers ]

I would lke to be able to operate a water pump remotely. The pump is rated at 1hp and operates on 110v. I can find remote units but they specify a 1/3 hp limit. Can anyone tell me where I can find the desired unit? Thanks, Bob

View more questions Search