Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    june chapman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2006, 01:55 AM
    Adding Children's Names To Mortgage
    I would like to add my grown up children to my mortgage as they are paying it as well as me, how can I go about this and how much will it cost.

June Chapman
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Nov 6, 2006, 03:45 AM
    Hi June,

I would be more inclined to write a will and leave the children as the beneficiaries. Adding others to a mortgage requires legal advice (as does making a will) and also refinancing the mortgage (extra costs probably). By adding others to the mortgage is that they would become liable for the payments should you not be able to make payments on the re-financed mortgage. Definitely speak to a lawyer before going any further
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 6, 2006, 07:06 AM
    There is no way to "add" people to a mortgage, and really all that does is obligate them to pay if they don't. Normally you would have to re-finace the mortgage to add new and additional co-lenders.

If they need to talk to the lender, you can give them power of attorney, that way they can discuss the loan with the bank, you can of course leave them the house in a will.

And honestly the childred most likely don't want to be listed on a mortgage, since it obligates them to pay if the other children or you don't.
    I know the last thing I would want to be is listed on any of my mom's debts.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 6, 2006, 07:17 AM
    As Chuck pointed out, you really don't want then on the mortgage. However, what you might want is to add them to your deed. I think, though, the better advice would be to make them the beneficiaries of your will. If you add them as co-owners under the deed you are essentially gifting them an interest in the property. This might incur some gift taxes. However, if the home is your only asset (which I would suspect it is if they need to help pay), then it will probably escape estate taxes.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Nov 6, 2006, 10:11 AM
    The prvious posts are correct in the fact that the only way to add the children to the mortgage is to refinance with the children as co-borrowers. Perhaps the reason that June's children wish to be on the mortgage is so they can deduct the interest from their income for tax purposes. Many people take the tax deduction for interest paid on another's mortgage, and get away with it. My tax (CPA) man has told me that if you are not obligated on the note for the debt, you are not allowed to take the deduction. Maybe the Atlanta Tax Expert, or another professional in that field can confirm this. A few states such as AZ has a Beneficiary Deed that provides for transfer of the property to the beneficiary upon the death of the owner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Name of A children's movie [ 7 Answers ]

There is a movie that is about 10 years old ,maybe more, that I need the title of. It is a children's movie and it is about a little girl who is on an adventure. She has to go through obstacles like walking upside down on a dirt road and she has little friends that are like cabage patch kids (I...

Adding a spouse's name to mortgage [ 8 Answers ]

I recently married and want my name added to the mortgage/title. How do we go about this?

Adding my name to a mortgage [ 6 Answers ]

Hi My sister is struggling with her mortgage alone, and as asked me if I would like to go in on the mortgage to cut down her monthly payments. I think this is a investment for me, as it is so difficult to get on the property ladder these days. How do you go about it? Does she have to re...

Children's movie title help [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know the title of a children's movie where the land is a patchwork quilt with puppet characters?

Children's Movie [ 2 Answers ]

There is a movie that my daughter used to watch in the 90s, It has a talking purple book, a wizard and a library. There was hole in the floor where she thinks a dragon used to come out. I don't think is was scary... Any ideas?? This is driving us both nuts:eek:

View more questions Search