Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2313stephen Posts: 65, Reputation: 3

Oct 29, 2009, 06:59 AM
    How to lighten dark brown hair.
    I have dark brown hair and normally use semi permanent dye every 8 weeks to cover the odd grey hair. Decided I wanted to go 3 or 4 shades lighter. I dyed my hair last night using a permanent colour (caramel brown) which has lightened it a couple of shades and it does look good. I really want to go a couple shades lighter though. How long should I wait before coulouring again with the next lighter shade from same hair dye range?
    LilBrunette Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2009, 10:15 AM

Hi Stephen
    I would wait at least 2-3 months to let the hair settle otherwise if you do it any sooner, the hair could really dry out. Hope this helps.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2009, 09:14 PM

Hair doesn't have a blood supply and, therefore, doesn't heal with time. The hair will dry out simply by using chemical treatments on it. It'll dry out as much if you do it tomorrow as if you do it in two months.

You need to remove the artificial dye in your hair before you can lighten it further. Use ColorFix, Color Oops, or Color Zap. Then re-dye. If you want to go more than 2 levels lighter than your *natural* color, you'll need to bleach and tone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I lighten my hair that I colored too dark? [ 15 Answers ]

I dyed my hair with Nice and Easy natural darkest black. My hair was just one shade lighter before but it turned out black! I used One and Only Colorfix and then re-dyed it a medium brown shade and it came out too dark again. The worst part is that I have pretty long hair and missed a few spots...

How Do You Lighten Dark Brown Hair? [ 3 Answers ]

I had dyed my hair a black about a year ago, and my hair has kind of grown out and the ends have faded, so from the top of my head, I have my natural hair color, and that goes into the kind of faded black that is now a dark brown, and then last its back to where the black has faded completely and...

Dark blonde/light brown to dark brown hair [ 3 Answers ]

Hey! My hair color is dark blond or a really light brown.. I-m not sure and I want to dye it dark brown? Is it safe? Or will I be getting a reddish color after a few washes? My natural hair is light brown but I dyed it.. a medium chocolate the stylist said but it really turned out to be a blondish...

How do I lighten my dark dark "brown" dyed hair? [ 1 Answers ]

I have had my hair dyed 2 times before, and I tried to go for a lighter brown then my natural colour (medium brown) and each time it turned orange after a couple of weeks. Last night I went to get my hair dyed again, and I wanted a darker brown, so my hair would not turn orange. When my hair was...

Lighten Dark Hair [ 5 Answers ]

Can I use a light brown permanent hair dye to lighten up a dark auburn semi-permanent job that I recently did to myself?

View more questions Search