Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdangel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2009, 06:04 PM
    Net Force between two planets?
    All right guys, here's a really hard one I cannot get.

A newly-discovered planet has only one moon. Their center-to-center distance is 790 000 000 metres. The planet's mass is 90 times the mass of its moon. How far from the center of the planet would a space shuttle have to be so it would experience no net force?

This is all the info I got.

Any help?
    Possible equations?
    Nhatkiem Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

Oct 28, 2009, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdangel View Post
    Alright guys, here's a really hard one I cannot get.

A newly-discovered planet has only one moon. Their center-to-center distance is 790 000 000 metres. The planet's mass is 90 times the mass of its moon. How far from the center of the planet would a space shuttle have to be so it would experience no net force?

This is all the info I got.

Any help?
    Possible equations?
    Gravitational force between two objects is explained as

where m is the mass of the two objects, G is the gravitational constant (6.673*10^-11) and r is center to center distance between the two objects.

We then want the shuttle to be in a position where the force exerted by the moon and the planet are equal! (thus net force is zero).

let the following be true:
    mm = mass of the moon
    mp = mass of the planet
    ms = mass of the ship
    fm = force between moon and ship
    fp = force between planet and ship

as stated above, the forces must be equal, therefore:

Now if we think about r here, if the ship is between who objects that are only 100m away, we say that if it is 10m from object a, then it must be 90m from object be. Or if the distance equals x from a, then the distance must be 100-x from b. so here we can write that the distance the ship is from the moon be r, and the distance from the planet be 7.9*10^8-r. Therefore we have:

Lets start cancelling!

But wait! Were also given that the mass of the planet is 90 times the moon, so we can say:

we then have:

Factor the bottom out and bit more cancellation with mm

Some algebra work:

Combine like terms!

This becomes just a quadratic equation :cool:, solve for r

Oct 28, 2009, 06:32 PM

I forgot to say, If you know calculus, then just take the derivative with respect to r, and solve it as an optimization problem.

Oct 29, 2009, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhatkiem View Post
    Gravitational force between two objects is explained as

where m is the mass of the two objects, G is the gravitational constant (6.673*10^-11) and r is center to center distance between the two objects.

We then want the shuttle to be in a position where the force exerted by the moon and the planet are equal! (thus net force is zero).

let the following be true:
    mm = mass of the moon
    mp = mass of the planet
    ms = mass of the ship
    fm = force between moon and ship
    fp = force between planet and ship

as stated above, the forces must be equal, therefore:

Now if we think about r here, if the ship is between who objects that are only 100m away, we say that if it is 10m from object a, then it must be 90m from object be. Or if the distance equals x from a, then the distance must be 100-x from b. so here we can write that the distance the ship is from the moon be r, and the distance from the planet be 7.9*10^8-r. Therefore we have:

Lets start cancelling!

But wait! were also given that the mass of the planet is 90 times the moon, so we can say:

we then have:

Factor the bottom out and bit more cancellation with mm

Some algebra work:

Combine like terms!

This becomes just a quadratic equation :cool:, solve for r

Thanks a bunch for that.
    NOW I'm going to seem like a total noob, but when i solve for r using the quadratic Formula, both the answers end up being negative, which I find to make no sense.

A little bit more help here please?

Oct 29, 2009, 07:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdangel View Post
    Thanks a bunch for that.
    NOW I'm going to seem like a total noob, but when i solve for r using the quadratic Formula, both the answers end up being negative, which I find to make no sense.
    I'm not sure what your doing wrong because I am getting a negative and a positive answer. Make sure you are typing in everything correctly :confused:
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2009, 11:51 PM

I'll point out that the equation is in the form : ax^2 + bx - c

No matter how you do, you must have a positive and a negative factor, because the factors of - c are a positive number and a negative number. Post what you did, perhaps we can help you spot your mistake, or you'll find it yourself while copying it. :)

Oct 29, 2009, 11:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    I'll point out that the equation is in the form : ax^2 + bx - c

No matter how you do, you must have a positive and a negative factor, because the factors of - c are a positive number and a negative number. Post what you did, perhaps we can help you spot your mistake, or you'll find it yourself while copying it. :)
    Lol, the original problem kept biting me in the butt because my radius kept canceling each other out haha. But you have a point, the answer will have to be 1 negative and 1 positive value, two factors of the same sign would yield positive c.

Oct 30, 2009, 12:12 PM

so exactly what answers did you guys get?
    cause I ended up with about 7.5 x 10^7 as the distance from the moon
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2009, 12:23 PM

Well, I got that too. If I'm taking Nhatkiem's work as being good (I trust him enough, so I didn't check, I don't have the patience :o) then, yes, it's good.

Oct 30, 2009, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    Well, I got that too. If I'm taking Nhatkiem's work as being good (I trust him enough, so I didn't check, I don't have the patience :o) then, yes, it's good.
    Of course the answer is right :p

Anyway that was also the answer I got.

Ideally you would imagine the object would have to be closer to the moon to feel no forces since the moon is smaller. So the distance you got would have to be the distance with respect to the moon since its only about 10% of the total distance r.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Shape of the orbits of the 8 planets and pluto around the sun [ 3 Answers ]

Hello , I need this answers Thanks

Find force of gravity, normal force, and net force in Physics [ 6 Answers ]

A crate of mass m (=10 kg) is placed at rest on a (frictionless) inclined plane, which has an angle (= 30 deg ) above horizontal 1. The force of gravity on the crate is? 2. The normal force on the crate is? 3. The net force on the crate is? 4. How long would it take the crate to slide 8 m...

Why are the planets and moos round [ 4 Answers ]

It can't be because of a collection of gasses as the sun.

Rotation of planets [ 1 Answers ]

Why do planets rotate?

Planets [ 14 Answers ]

Which planet spins backwards?

View more questions Search