Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 31, 2009, 10:02 PM

I won't judge the name, my goldfish is Goldie, my feeder fish is Fang. :rolleyes: :o

Congrats on the new fish friend. :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2009, 12:46 AM

Awesome, you will have to post pictures :D
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2009, 08:29 AM

When I can find a camera that won't make him look all fuzzy I will! I'm excited! I need to get him a plant though, the tank looks kind of empty , And he likes to hide in corners sometimes.He needs some cover. :)
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2009, 05:51 PM

He doesn't seem to want to eat yet. I'm going to keep trying about 3 pellets before bed or when I wake up. I'll make sure to take out what he doesn't eat. I just want to make sure that he has the chance to start eating.
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2009, 07:17 PM

Give him some time to settle in, he will eat when he's ready.

How long did you have the tank set up for before you bought him?

Definitely get some plants for him, I know mine used to like resting on top of the leaves ;)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 1, 2009, 08:10 PM

How big are the pellets that you're feeding him?

When we first got our siamese fighting fish we had to cut the pellets in half, they were to big for him to get in his mouth.
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2009, 09:53 PM

My boyfriend's mom has fish, and she got the water all prepared for me. The water was ready for about 4 hours. We put it in a clean ice cream bucket for me to take home and use for him. I also made sure that was water was about the same temperature as his little container when I put him in there. It might have been a degree or two off, but it felt pretty much the same.

As for the pellets, my other betta could eat them, and they have the same size mouth. I've seen him take them in and them spit them out. My other betta would do that too sometimes. You're probably right that he needs some time to settle in.

This might sound kind of weird, but my new fish feels like a stranger. I don't know him yet like I knew my other fishy Zavier. I'm still kind of getting used to him. I really like him though. I'm just scared that he's going to die all of the sudden. :(

I'm super paranoid now, I want to make sure that my fish is as happy as possible.
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2009, 10:09 PM

Aww, he will grow on you eventually :)
    When I got my dog Brody he didn't feel like he was 'my dog' for a few months because he was 1 year old when I got him.

Sounds like you have done everything perfect, whenever we bought fish from the pet store they would hide for a few days behind the plants, once they were settled they came out and were fine.
    Except for the clown loaches, We had to do spot checks once a week to make sure they weren't dead because they just hid all the time :rolleyes:
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Nov 1, 2009, 10:18 PM

If you get a mate for your fishy make sure it is a female. The males fight each other if you didn't know. I had a beta fish before too. His name was hungry mungry. Lol :D sometimes I would put his bowl next to my sister's beta fish and both of their gills would puff out!
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2009, 10:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Aww, he will grow on you eventually :)
    When I got my dog Brody he didn't feel like he was 'my dog' for a few months because he was 1 year old when I got him.

Sounds like you have done everything perfect, whenever we bought fish from the pet store they would hide for a few days behind the plants, once they were settled they came out and were fine.
    Except for the clown loaches, We had to do spot checks once a week to make sure they weren't dead because they just hid all the time :rolleyes:
    I think I'll feel better when he has a plant or something. I can tell he's a bit uneasy still, it's like a 6th sense. His tank is just so open on the inside. He's up on my dresser, and there's stuff around his tank, and the sunligh can't affect him too much. I keep the light on above his tank for about an hour or so just so it stays at a decent temperature. So he's not in dorect sunlight, but he gets a decent amount of warmth.

I also don't think that he knows what to do when Luka (my kitty) decided to jump on the dresser and stick her big furry face to the glass. I' sure it's terrifying.
    I'm sure he'll feel more secure when he has a plant to lurk in. :)

I bet when he feels more secure, then I will too.
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2009, 01:57 AM

Couldn't resist :D

rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Nov 2, 2009, 03:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsohappy View Post
    My boyfriend's mom has fish, and she got the water all prepared for me. The water was ready for about 4 hours. We put it in a clean ice cream bucket for me to take home and use for him. I also made sure that was water was about the same temperature as his little container when I put him in there. it might have been a degree or two off, but it felt pretty much the same.

As for the pellets, my other betta could eat them, and they have the same size mouth. I've seen him take them in and them spit them out. My other betta would do that too sometimes. You're probably right that he needs some time to settle in.

This might sound kind of weird, but my new fish feels like a stranger. I don't know him yet like I knew my other fishy Zavier. I'm still kind of getting used to him. I really like him though. I'm just scared that he's going to die all of the sudden. :(

I'm super paranoid now, I want to make sure that my fish is as happy as possible.

I know what you mean... Like I said I just got my tank last week. And unfortunately yesterday I found, that my fave fish Jaws(a 1 1/2 inch pleco) died. It was horrible. So yesterday Me and my dad went to Walmart and got a new pleco Jaws 2. He also bought me a big black fish that had glowing dots. We put them both uin the tank and they seemed fine. Then we went to my uncle's b-day party, and when we got back home another of my fish was dead at the bottom, My male guppy named atlas. We took it out and examined it and it had been eaten, now if it died and then was eaten I don't know. But I sat and watched for a while thinking that maybe the new black fish had something to do with it. Sure enough with in 2 minutes he went after my snail. That was it. I took him out and put him in with my goldfish(they can protect themselves for sure).

I'm really pissed at walmart right now. ON the tank it said that the fish was a community fish. HA. When I searched it up last night it said they were aggressive, the name of the fish is Jack Dempsey Cichild.

Now I'm really scared that my other fish'll die. I go in there every half hour and do a head count(no word of a lie). I look for my 2 frogs, my female guppy, my platty, and my pleco.
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2009, 05:00 AM

Cichlids are just bad unless you have them with other cichlids, same with barbs, surely walmart should have known that :(
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2009, 09:48 AM

Wal mart doesn't know much about actusl pet care. They make their money off the supplies, not the fish, So they don't take good care of them. I wouldn't listen to what the walmart people say at all, I'd research it online or go directly to a petstore. But since you said there's not one nearby, internet is the next best. You can also call a petstore if you can't travel there and they will answer any of your questions.
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2009, 09:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    couldn't resist :d

LOL!! That's too funny!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What can betta fish live with? [ 2 Answers ]

I used to have a girl betta fish and she lived with other fish and people now are saying that bettas can't live with any other fish. If so, what can they live with because I feel bad having my soon to be betta living all alone. I'm getting it tomorrow!

Betta fish [ 1 Answers ]

Do betta fish really need an air pump in their tank/bowl? Can they just sit in still water? And if they are in s5till water, how often do you have to change the water??

GH/KH concern with new Betta [ 1 Answers ]

Hello :), I have a 6 gallon tank in my office with a PH of 7.2, and a GH and KH of about 53.7, (as far as I'm understanding on the API test kit.) I just got my Betta and plan to put him in his new home this evening; but I'm trying to figure out if my GH and KH levels are all right. Some of...

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

View more questions Search