Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yurcek Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2009, 02:26 PM
    Door Threshold-How to tighten
    I recently installed a new weatherstrip on the bottom of my entry door and it appears to be too tight and could be more of a problem in the future if the wood swells. I have tried to screw the threshold down and it appears that I have it tightened all the way down, but still seems to be a little too tight. I assume it is "righty tighty", "lefty loosey". Is that correct? I looked at the packages of thresholds in Lowe's and it appears that that is the direction I should be going. Any ideas?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 28, 2009, 06:02 PM

Righty is tighty but your threshold may already be all the way down or the cap screws are so rusted you can't turn them. Try a different weather strip, much easier than repairing or replacing a threshold.
    Eddy_Ed Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2009, 09:01 PM
    You could try to plane a little off the bottom of the door or use a skil saw with a fence. But only cut an 1/8 of an inch off at a time until it will close.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing an adjustable door threshold [ 21 Answers ]

I'm getting ready to install an adjustable door threshold in a basement on a concrete slab. This is what the threshold looks like: Find Adjustable Sill Inswing, 36" and other Door Thresholds & Sweeps at Aubuchon Hardware It's a standard threshold that you see a lot these days. However, I will be...

Entry door aluminum threshold [ 12 Answers ]

I'm replacing a aluminum threshold. How do I remove the old one? There are no screws and the threshold ends run under the door frame. Do I need to remove the door casing?

New Exterior Door Threshold [ 8 Answers ]

We have a door entering our basement from the exterior of the house. A threshold was never installed and as such, there is a gap, approximately 3/4" between the floor and the bottom of the door that is allowing bugs to enter the home (not to mention the cold pretty soon). Of course I'd like to...

Adjustable door threshold adjustment [ 3 Answers ]

I have installed an exterior (very heavy) pre-hung door manufactured for me by a local shop that is now out of business. My very new hardwood floors come up high on the threshold, leaving not enough room for an entry carpet inside the door which will cause excessive water in this area from the...

How do I replace french door threshold? [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace my threshold for my exterior french doors. Both sides open up (although one side is always stationary unless you unlock it. How do I remove the old threshold in order to replace with new one? How do you cut the new threshold if it's too long?

View more questions Search