Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sstaylor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2009, 06:36 AM
    Incorrect Spelling on Birth Certificate
    The spelling of the first name is incorrect, it doesn't match any other documents, we have tried to have the name corrected, however this continues to be a run around. Without correct speling no drivers license, marriage nothing can take place. Born in Georgia. How can I get this resolved without it costing a large sum of money?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2009, 07:26 AM
    I think (and that's all it is because I have no expertise) you need to legally change your name, just as if your name was John Doe and you wanted to change it to James Doe. That would require the action of a judge (depending on state law). You would then have that document to certify your legal name like a lady might have a marriage certificate to show the legal change of her name as a result of marriage.
    I do not know if there is a process to actually create a revised birth certificate and of course all of these laws vary by state.
    The story is that Oprah was actually named Orpha but it was incorrectly written as Oprah on her birth certificate. If that's true, she's still Oprah.
    Have you tried contacting any state/county officials? They might have a suggestion that would result in less cost. Remember, you have no way to prove the birth certificate was incorrect. For example, your parents may have wanted to name you Rabert or Welliam, as far as the government is concerned.
    Good luck.
    sstaylor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2009, 11:17 AM
    Yeah we contacted the Georgia department of records and they are saying that the parent has to request this change, the issue here is the only parent continues to say she applied to have it corrected but this has been going on for 3 years. In the meantime the child is now 22 years old. Social security is spelled the correct way. We even went to see if we could just have the Social Security card changed to reflect the incorrect spelling at least so they would match and we could get some identification, they won't do it unless you have identification. Crazy huh

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change spelling of name on birth certificate [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: I was born in NJ and currently live in GA. My mother changed a letter in my first name, but never had my birth certificate changed. All records (school, medical, employment, even SSN) has the post birth certificate spelling. My, drivers license and passport have the spelling that's on...

Father not around at birth. Want to add him to birth certificate/change babies name [ 1 Answers ]

At the time I had my son 5 months ago his father was not in the picture so I opted to not give him his last name or put his name on the birth certificate... however now his father came back and we are working things out.. how do I go about changing the birth certificate and my sons last name... do...

Adult Birth certficate spelling change [ 4 Answers ]

I am an adult. I was born in California, but now live in Oregon. My parents started spelling my first name different than my birth certificate since I was 5 months old. All my legal papers: s.s card, drivers licence etc all are with the different spelling. I need to know how to change the...

Birth Certificate [ 3 Answers ]

How do I go about adding my son's father's name to the birth certificate?

View more questions Search