Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anastasios Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2009, 03:31 AM
    Obtaining Dual Australian/Greek Citizenship
    I am in the process of applying for dual citizenship (Greek/Australian) and I have come across a huge obstacle.

I have been able to acquire and submit all of the necessary documentation for processing. The problem is that my father's surname is spelt incorrectly on his Birth Certificate, and because of this, the entire process has come to a grinding halt! Both the Greek Consulate and my father have contacted the Registry of Births and Deaths in Greece, but they have refused to correct the error on his certificate.

I would like to know whether I can apply for Greek citizenship based solely on my mum, whose details are accurate on her Birth Certificate. I asked the Greek Consulate this question and he replied "Oh.. I am not sure, but I don't think so." To my surprise, he seemed very vague about the whole thing.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,
    Anastasios.
    acrules3 Posts: 76, Reputation: 3

Jan 1, 2010, 01:45 PM

This makes no sense at all. If your father was born in Greece, then his name on the Greek birth certificate [technically, his name on his inscription in the military records / "Mitrwa arrenwn", since that is what makes him a Greek citizen] is his official name. Did he change his name when he moved to Australia?

In any case, if the Greek Consulate is being unhelpful, you should contact the Greek Ombudsman to help you out. If you are the son of two Greek Citizens [and it sounds like you are] then your situation is extremely straightforward, and can be solved quickly.

The Greek Ombudsman can be found at The Greek Ombudsman Home Page
    anastasios Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2010, 09:48 PM
    Hi Acrules3,

Thanks for your response to my dilemma. My father was born in Greece, but they have misspelt his surname on his Birth Certificate, and the authorities in Kastoria are not prepared to correct THEIR error. No, dad has not changed his name - his proper surname was recorded incorrectly somehow. I cannot register and apply for a Greek passport when my father's surname (as it appears incorrectly on his Birth Certificate) and my surname (as it appears on my Australian Birth Certificate) are spelt differently.

Your suggestion to contact the Greek Ombudsman is an excellent one. I shall do that, enquiring specifically about what we can do to convince the authorities to correct the spelling of my father's surname on his certificate. Once they have rectified the problem (ie changed the spelling of my father's surname to what it's supposed to be) then everything else should be smooth sailing.

Cheers,
    Anastasios.
    shon86 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2010, 09:29 AM

The greek law concerning greek citizship - greek passport - is not easy and direct, there is a difference between taking rights from father, and from mother, it is important to get the complete legal rights - proof, of whom you wish to apply from, ( in your case both sides ) before any application you make and send to greece, you should first must be sure you have the legal rights correct in greece of the side you choose, any mistake in this stage can lead to a dead end with in case of two sides - father and mother, the first step of checking the legal rights and complete reffernce of both including problems of name adjustment of all registrations need before any application is done.
    Only of you got the full picture in both sides you can choose which one is better to go with !

Mar 13, 2010, 09:35 AM

Correction name by the way - is a legal act can be done by advocate.
    But youhave to be sure excatlly what and how to correct it, andmor over, beter to review all fields of the case,the rights upon the time you apply ( a lot of greeks think that if you had born in greece you are greek ! It is not the greek law ! ), so as you can see you found one problem of name change, but can be many other problem you arre not aware of, and that can be critic in the application, and sometime can cancel you application without result, greek passport, even though you are from greek father or mother.
    petey.12.92 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jul 27, 2010, 08:32 PM
    Hey, I have a friend who can acquire a Greek dual citizenship through descent but we are wondering how do we find the necessary documentation to do so?
    Tsiaousis Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Sep 12, 2010, 02:48 AM

I also have a problem , I need to get a copy of my fathers birth certificate but don't know where to start, I have searched the web but still unable to find the agency that has birth records, can someone help please

Sep 14, 2010, 11:27 PM

You can find all needed on this International GREEK law firm that provides all Legal services needed to get greek citizenship !

GREEK LAW FIRM - WORLDWIDE | GREEK-EUROPEAN PASSPORT | All services concerning greek law- worldwide - regional offices around the world.

Sep 15, 2010, 11:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsiaousis View Post
    I also have a problem , i need to get a copy of my fathers birth certificate but dont know where to start, i have searched the web but still unable to find the agency that has birth records, can someone help please
    You can easly find a complete legal services here: GREEK LAW FIRM - WORLDWIDE | GREEK-EUROPEAN PASSPORT | All services concerning greek law- worldwide - regional offices around the world.

Sep 15, 2010, 11:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsiaousis View Post
    I also have a problem , i need to get a copy of my fathers birth certificate but dont know where to start, i have searched the web but still unable to find the agency that has birth records, can someone help please
    You can have the needed legal service here: GREEK LAW FIRM - WORLDWIDE | GREEK-EUROPEAN PASSPORT | All services concerning greek law- worldwide - regional offices around the world.

Sep 15, 2010, 11:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by acrules3 View Post
    This makes no sense at all. If your father was born in Greece, then his name on the Greek birth certificate [technically, his name on his inscription in the military records / "Mitrwa arrenwn", since that is what makes him a Greek citizen] is his official name. Did he change his name when he moved to Australia?

In any case, if the Greek Consulate is being unhelpful, you should contact the Greek Ombudsman to help you out. If you are the son of two Greek Citizens [and it sounds like you are] then your situation is extremely straightforward, and can be solved quickly.

The Greek Ombudsman can be found at The Greek Ombudsman Home Page
    Every one in the world who have or think he have the rights for greek passport, is responsible by himself to work hard to get his rights, it is not practical to think that someone else in the system will do the work for you, you must work and find the best way you can make it in the correct way, if thispassport is important to you !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to obtain dual Greek/USA citizenship; having trouble with Greek Consulates [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to find help in obtaining Greek citizenship through my father, who was born in Greece, still has his Greek passport, but is now a naturalized U.S. citizen. The main problem I am having is finding a consulate that will even talk to me/help me. The one consulate that has been helpful is...

What documents do I need to gain Australian Greek Dual Citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am an Australian Citizen, my parents are migrants from Greece, married in Australia (political wedding). Can someone please give me a list of documents needed to obtain Australian/ Greek Dual Citizenship. Thanks :)

Dual greek Australian citizenship [ 9 Answers ]

I'm also trying to gain EU citizenship through my greek heritage. Both of my grandparents are greek and born in greece and moved to australia in the early 1960's, my father was the only of his siblings born in australia and they all speak greek and have gone back several times to visit. We're all...

Obtaining Greek Citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a Turkish citizen born in Turkey. However my grandmother was born in Crete and then immigrated to Turkey after first world war. Is this enough to apply for the Greek citizenship? Thank you.

Obtaining greek citizenship [ 4 Answers ]

I am a US citizen... I am planning a move to Greece and want to obtain my Greek citizenship prior to going... what do I need to do... who do I contact and how long does this process usually take??

View more questions Search