Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2009, 11:42 AM

OK, but what can you site about indiana's state laws? Personal experience doesn't count as citing the laws. I'm not saying you're wrong. But since you say you found them it would be helpful if you could cite them so everyone can get on the same page.
    ssuding Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2009, 11:48 AM
    His own family says for him to leave me alone. I'm NOT the bad guy. Not perfect either, as neither are any of you! You have no idea what your talking about ,when it comes to the sheriff or Indiana law. The children have NOTHING to do with us not being put out lastnight. Me and my children live here and that's why we were NOT put out ,the Sheriff said so. You need to rethink your statement of me being the BAD guy cause, I want to move I'M THE BAD GUY? Give me abreak. There does have to be the lease, the Sheriff didn't make you leave due to the kids. Yes, he will make it tough to have the kids thrown out with you as it will complicate things.

You're the bad guy because you told him you are moving out, and then expect to stay in HIS house while you try to find another place to live[/QUOTE]
    ssuding Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2009, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the advice .Trying to find somewhere to stay temp. is what I'm trying to do for the sake of my children. I agree, the sooner the better. Thanks.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2009, 11:56 AM

I am saying you're in the wrong because of the fact you tell him you want to move out but then expect him to let you live in his house while you try to find somewhere else.

But I am done with this thread
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 28, 2009, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Romefalls19 View Post
    Scott,

She has no legal rights as she does not pay any rent. All that would happen is that they would point her to the nearest open halfway home.

Just because she established that she gets rent there, it does not mean that she has a right to stay there if she is not wanted there. If his name is solely on the title and mortgage, he can throw her out. I went onto several legal sites in Indiana for this intel.
    I don't know what sites you went to but you are totally wrong. If you have ANY site that says otherwise please cite them. This issue has been very often discussed in THIS forum. Paying rent is NOT the only indication of residency. A person can establish residency in a variety of ways. Getting mail at the address, having belongings there, having ID that shows that as their address. All these and more can establish residency and once residency is established, they have the same legal rights as a month to month tenant. Ergo, she has to be given legal notice that her residency is being terminated. Generally this notice is at least 30 days. If she does not vacate by the deadline, then he has to go to court for an eviction order.

NO ONE can be summarily kicked out their residence. If your friends were told this by cops, the cops were wrong. This I KNOW for a fact. If you can find any statute that says otherwise please cite it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 28, 2009, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Romefalls19 View Post
    I am saying you're in the wrong because of the fact you tell him you want to move out but then expect him to let you live in his house while you try to find somewhere else.

But I am done with this thread
    I hope you are done with this thread since you have been giving incorrect and bad advice.

I agree the OP messed up by not having a place to go to first. But that doesn't make her bad or wrong, just foolish. It also doesn't mean she does not have rights as a resident.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who owns the house [ 2 Answers ]

A married couple buys a house together and only his name is on the records and he dies or they divorce will she get half of the house

Son owns house, mom lives there; won't get financing OR move! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question: My husband bought a house in 1997, completely on his own - The mortgage / deed / taxes are all in his name ONLY. His mother was supposed to get her credit straightened out and get financing to get the house out of his name. It is now 11 years later, and she will not get off...

Boyfriend will not move out.My mother owns the house! [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend won't move out... My Mother owns the house, and we live in one of the apartments... he has been telling me that she cannot evict him without evicting me also... which doesn't make much sense to me at all! There is no lease, we pay month to month (since I'm family and all). So what I'm...

Who Owns House Now that Ex-Spouse Died? [ 3 Answers ]

1. Fifteen years ago when I divorced my husband, I signed a Quit Claim Deed. 2. He refinanced and paid me off. Last year, he paid off that refinance loan and went into a reverse mortgage agreement. 2. Our son (25 years old) lived in the house with his father, my ex-husband. 2. My...

View more questions Search