Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1967RSSS Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2009, 02:54 PM
    Can I add a GFCI to a bathroom that doesn't have one?
    I am redoing our spare bathroom and want to know if I can switch the outlet to a GFCI. Without any problems. Right now there is just a duplex receptacle. Thanks
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 03:05 PM

Yes, in fact, it is required that any outlet within 6' of water in a bathroom be protected by a GFCI outlet or Breaker.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom vanity GFCI [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Currently in my bathroom is a lighted vanity with a small built in two prong plug. I want to install a GFCI. The vanity is controlled by a wall switch. Do I wire the new 20 amp gfci outlet and vanity light both on the gfci or wire the gfci and lighted vanity separately? John

GFCI - Bathroom outlets don't have power! [ 7 Answers ]

I have a new house. I have two outlets in my master bath. The outlets do not have "reset/test" switches on the outlets themselves. However, there is a separate plate in the master bath that is labeled GFCI with a "reset/test" switch only and no outlet. We plugged a small space heater into one...

When adding a GFCI disconnect for hottub, should I replace GFCI in service panel? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a hottub now but without a disconnect. Its simply a 6/3-50 amp wire that runs from the hottub to a 50amp GFCI inside the house main service panel. I want to install a disconnect 5-10 feet from the hottub. I bought a disconnect box that already has a GFCI inside of it. Should I have bought...

Add gfci to a bathroom [ 4 Answers ]

I have a older home that I just purchased. The bathroom has a light that is controlled by a switch. I need to add an gfci outlet. How can I do this to make the switch operate the light without effecting the new gfci outlet? There is one wire going to the switch (black, white and Ground).

Bathroom Vent fan GFCI circuit [ 3 Answers ]

My NuTone fan says that it's UL approved for over shower use when wired with GFCI circuit. Would it be acceptable if I ran the fan power wire first through a plain face (non-outlet, but outlet sized unit) GFCI unit, through the switch and to the fan with nothing else on that circuit? I know that I...

View more questions Search