Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FaithACarr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2006, 04:43 PM
    Capital One Froze My Bank Account
    Hi, I live in Virginia. Capital One credit cards obtained a judgement against me on 10/25/06. On 11/3/06, I went to the ATM to withdraw some money and was informed that I had insufficient funds. Funny, that morning I had 700.00. I asked the bank and they said some one had withdrawn 1201.82 from my account earlier that day. First I was baffled by the fact that they with drew the money in the middle of the day as I thought all transactions happened at midnight. As it was after 6 pm on Friday, the bank was unable to tell me any thing except that it was a garnishment. I remembered receiving a summons to go to court from Capital One back in September. The case was heard in Richmond VA and I live in Roanoke, VA. The court is a good 4 hours from where I live so I was unable to appear. I looked online at Virginia Court Case information for Richmond and found that Capital One had filed for a garnishment. The case is listed as "pending". They have taken the entire judgement from my bank account although the law states they can only take 25% of my disposable earnings. The bank put it through because it is a legal document. So, not only can I not get any money from my account, I am negative almost 500.00. I have a 15 year old son and I am a single mother. Can any one tell me how to get the freeze off my account immediately?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2006, 07:28 PM
    Hello Faith:

I don't think you're going to get the freeze off until the judgment is satisfied. If there is a max, it's on how much they can garnish from your paycheck. There is no max on how much they can take out of your bank account.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 5, 2006, 08:00 PM
    First, you received a summons and did nothing about it. What did you expect was going to happen? Second, despite what the website said about the status, if they were able to garnish your account they obtained the judgement. They got it because YOU did nothing. Third, the 25% limit iapplies to salary garnishments not seizure of a bank account.

Bottomline here is you incurred the debt. You didn't pay it, so they exercised their legal right to recover the debt.

I don't understand about the negative. They can't take out more than was in the account. What's also not clear is how much your owe or whether the withdrawal covered it.

You could try to go back to the court and try to get the judgement vacated. But I doubt if that is going to happen.
    samsclub Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Nov 10, 2006, 07:50 PM
    Why wouldn't you appear to the summons? The money is not free- you will have to pay it back somehow. You did not take responsibility and they proved it in court- so they satisfied the debt by taking it out of your account. I doubt it will work if you try to fight this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank Account Judgement [ 10 Answers ]

Last week I discovered that my bank account was 0. I called my bank and they explained that I had a legal judgement against my account for debt collection. I have an appointment with an attorney later this week but cannot cash my paycheck at my bank as they will force deposit it into my account to...

Bank Account Garnishments [ 5 Answers ]

My bank account was recently frozen by a company for a vehicle I co-signed for with a friend in 1999 who had insufficient credit. It was repossessed without my knowledge until much later :mad:. The car was purchased solely for my friend to use as I had a car;never drove it or rode in it. Both of...

Bank Account Levy-froze Student Loan Funds [ 2 Answers ]

I had outstanding credit card debt 5 yrs ago and am in the process of settling all accts. However, I deposited my STUDENT LOAN CHECK in my bank account, and I guess because of the higher balance a lawyer firm that I had no idea was suuing me because they sent all correspondence to the wrong...

Can they freeze my bank account [ 2 Answers ]

One more question if I was to get A judgement. Can they freeze my bank account There nothing in it. The only money that's coms is my s.s disabilty every month?? :confused: :confused: :

Bank account levy [ 5 Answers ]

We live in Missouri. My husband has had a levy placed upon our bank account from a repo from several years ago. What will happen to the account? This account is seldom used, but if this is what they want to do, then should I start making monthly deposits in it? How much are they entitled to?...

View more questions Search