Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 03:33 AM
    Sunday in Philly
    Big day Sunday in Philly .

It starts Saturday night when Pearl Jam will perform in the last event at the Spectrum.
    That should end sometime after midnight... enough time to go home ,grab a quick snooze and get the tailgate party ready.
    Then Sunday at 1PM the Giants :)are at "The LINC " to beat the [B]Eagles :(.
    That should last until 4-4:30 PM . Time enough to grab a cheese steak on the way to Citizen's Bank Park to watch the Yanks :)beat the Phillies:mad:.

Here in NY it will be all Fox Sports all the time (unless you are an unfortunate Jets fan) . Game one is the Giants v Eagles... Game 2 is the Vikings loss to the Packers(sorry Brett ;this time it isn't in a dome)... time for a quick dinner and shower before settling down to Watch the Yanks whip the Phillie cheese.

To top it all off there's a fanatasy Football match up of very interested parties.Will Spit's team be the unmovable force against my runaway train ? :D
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 07:26 AM
    For me it's just a trip to the couch to watch Julius Jones get humiliated by his former team, catch a little of Jimmy Johnson increasing his Chase lead and watching Aaron Rodgers carry several of my fantasy teams to another win (hopefully showing no mercy to a really fine pianist and gaining ground on my niece and your runaway train of a team). Hopefully by then the Phillies will be ready to wrap up their thrashing of the Yanks. :D
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 07:32 AM

to watch Julius Jones get humiliated
    Suffice it to say that Jones (if I don't waive him this week) will be consigned to my bench.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 07:40 AM

I am debating on getting tickets to both games since both stadiums are across the street from each other. But I am pretty sure I won't have a place to sleep that night if I spend 120.00 for standing room tickets to the Eagles then another $427.00 on standing room tickets for the Phillies. Plus septa is talking about going on strike on Sunday just to prove a point which will make traffic unbearable. Plus if they both lose there might be mass suicides down there.

I am slowly but surely moving up the Fantasy ranks. I'm coming for you Both of you!
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 07:51 AM

Plus septa is talking about going on strike on Sunday just to prove a point which will make traffic unbearable.
    Yeah I read that this morning . The mayor should get a court order for them to return to work if they try that stunt.
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    I am slowly but surely moving up the Fantasy ranks. I'm coming for you Both of you!
    My niece just might hinder all of our championship plans. :D
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 08:09 AM

How crazy is it that the Giants and Eagles fan are playing each other when our teams are playing each other.

She might trip us all up
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 08:59 AM

For what it's worth:
    Yanks' payroll $201.5 M
    Phils' payroll: $113.0 M

I'm not for caps or taxes, but would repeal any antitrust exemptions that exist for professional sports, and all professions as well. Going for the Phils on this one, in 7.
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 09:49 AM

George , it is true that MLB has anti-trust exemptions but that has nothing to do with the teams payrolls. In fact ;the Yanks indeed do have the highest payroll and that definitely contributes to their success... although it is not the only factor... note the Mets payroll.
    However ;the Yankees also contribute greatly to the success of MLB. Not only is there a hard "luxury tax " that they pay into the league to subsidize the rest of the teams. But by them being the team everyone likes to hate ;they contribute to the gate receipts for every team they play on the road.

I do not mind hard caps on salaries if that's what's agreed upon in the collective bargaining process. But ;there are many teams that are taking the money from the wealth transfer called the luxury tax ;and are NOT putting it into their payrolls.
    My compromise would be both a hard cap and a hard floor for team salaries so that teams like the Pirates would not be able to game the system.
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 09:52 AM

Tom did you see the NY Post today? The Frillies pretty funny!! They could have at least put Victorino in a hula skirt!!
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 10:25 AM

Just looked it up...

"GIVE ME your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free" compared to... a cheesesteak.
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 10:26 AM

God bless America!
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 10:30 AM

How about Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, the Betsy Ross house Valley Forge, Washingtons Crossing. How long did it take NY to steal Lady Liberty from NJ?
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    How about Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, the Betsy Ross house Valley Forge, Washingtons Crossing. How long did it take NY to steal Lady Liberty from NJ?
    Huh? Why didn't NJ keep it?
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 10:36 AM

Oh and you guys need a refresher Philly people don't eat cheesesteaks those are for Tourist. REAL Philly people eat Hot Roast Pork sandwich with broccoli rabe.
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950 View Post
    Huh? Why didn't NJ keep it?
    It is technically in NJ coastal waters but I thought I heard they lost a court case. I could be very very wrong about this.
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 10:39 AM

Sorry ; Liberty Island's status as NY territory was established in 1664, and later reaffirmed in 1834.NJ's boundary is the Hudson River and not the middle of the Hudson .

NJ's got Ellis Island. The reason they have it is because it is an artificial Island made from landfill... perfect for New Jersey.
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 10:41 AM

If there is one thing NY and Philly can agree on is that NJ is trash!!
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 10:41 AM
    It is technically in NJ coastal waters but I thought I heard they lost a court case. I could be very very wrong about this.
    The court case was for Ellis Island.
    This is all fun and all . But in truth Liberty Island is owned by the federal government since 1800.
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 10:45 AM

I could use a Philly Cheesesteak, or a Hot Roast Pork sandwich, or preferably... just about anything on this page. Y'all can fight over NJ.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who sings the song: Sunday Sunday? [ 4 Answers ]

I believe the song is an early 70's or a late 60's song.. kind of like a hippie love song... it goes something like this; Sunday Sunday. La la, la la la la laaaa. Sunday morning couldn't guarantee... that Monday morning... would be there for me.. Every other day, every other day... fine.....

Pandemonium in Philly [ 27 Answers ]

I know it probably doesn't matter to many people on here But THE PHILLIES ARE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!! I don't think I have ever hugged so many strangers at once while celebrating on Broad Street. I was only 2 when the Fightins won in 1980 and I was only 5 when the Sixers won in 1983. I have no...

Live in NJ and worked in philly? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in South Jersey and work in philadelphia at the refinery. I paid into city wage which was the only city/state tax that I paid for the year. I received 2 w-2's one with city wage info on and one for state filing. The state wage in box 16 was less than what the local wages were in box 18 of...

View more questions Search