Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Oct 26, 2009, 04:42 PM
    Vibration of hard drive
    How susceptible are hard drives in new computers to damage from vibration? Because of space considerations, I want to put a treadmill in the same room as my computer. My house is on a crawl space. Is that likely to cause a problem for my computer?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by walt17 View Post
    My house is on a crawl space. Is that likely to cause a problem for my computer?
    Interesting question. I don't believe so. Typical maximum operating shock for current desktop drives is around 60 Gs. I haven't observed increased failure rates for drives I've installed in industrial or vehicular applications which encounter far worse vibration. In any case there are several simple things that could be done to uncouple the computer from the floor to reduce and improve vibration resistance:
    • Don't sit computer on the floor.
    • Add thick rubber bumper feet to computer if it doesn't already have them.
    • Sit computer on towel, carpet, foam pad, etc.
    • Purchase and install anti-vibration hard drive mounting kit.
    • Use notebook drive.
    Gekko Posts: 347, Reputation: 77

Oct 28, 2009, 06:52 AM
    I pound away on my Treadmill which is on a wood floor 1m away from my PCs. They seems to handle it fine and there's been no interuption/failure of movies that are being played while I'm running.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Replace existing hard drive with upgrade to larger hard drive? [ 6 Answers ]

How do you replace existing hard drive for a larger one and how to save info on existing device?

How to format a hard drive on a dell desktop with XP home edition and no floppy drive [ 18 Answers ]

How do I format a hard drive on a Dell Dimension 8110 with Windows XP home edition 2007 without a floppy drive? I tried to follow answers to some similar qustions posted previously on this site but when I do I get messages like "what's the disk volume label" from the command prompt window after...

Is this cd/dvd drive and hard drive compatible with this motherboard? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone I want to know if these parts are compatible... Newegg.com - ASUS Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 14X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners Newegg.com - Western Digital...

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

View more questions Search