Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notcoolenough Posts: 95, Reputation: 7

Oct 26, 2009, 01:25 PM
    SSI and income
    My father had been paying the difference on my rent after losing another job since disability was not enough. This money he was giving me for rent has counted as income and so SSI will be 0$. This will cause my father to have to help me even more (which he can't do) unless by some miracle I get a job and keep it. Disability alone isn't enough.

My question is, what if my father was to pay my landlady directly. Would this still be considered income? It is my understanding that since social security is aware that my father is giving me cash that I then give to my landlady as rent, it is being considered as income.

Is it still income if it doesn't go to me?

I live in MA by the way.
    rosemcs Posts: 325, Reputation: 47

Nov 6, 2009, 11:33 PM

Ask the SSI worker, I am in a similar situation and have my family member pay the property manager directly. They did consider it income... but you can ask anyway.

SSI helps, but in some ways, it's a joke. I hope you get better soon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do those income count among my taxable income?-dual status [ 4 Answers ]

Please help, I am on dual status for 2008 tax purpose. I was on H1B and left US in April, 2008. My questions are: During my non-resident period of 2008, I only received interests from US saving account and dividends from US brokerage account(some of dividends distributed in my IRA and mutual...

Collectors (law office) Garishing Income & Income Tax Refund? [ 4 Answers ]

I live in the Atlanta, GA area and I brought a house last spring. This summer I start receiving mail and phone calls from a law office regarding a credit card that was closed over 10 years ago, but I paid some money on it after that. So, it has been over 7 years,but a few month under 10 years. ...

Wealth & Income Dispersion, Income Mobility, and Economic Injustice [ 20 Answers ]

There's a lot of trash being talked here and elsewhere these days about how income and wealth are distributed among the US populace, how these distributions are changing, what is causing these changes, and whether those changes are benign or malevolent. Beyond that lie the questions of whether,...

Income Tax on Social Security & Interest Income [ 1 Answers ]

I collect SS, withdraw interest income monthly and sell real estate. I am wondering since my interest income & real estate commissions exceed the SS allowable income cap of $12,000 will my SS for the next year be reduced? Will my real estate expenses be deductible from taxes owed on my...

View more questions Search