Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    9665 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2009, 01:15 PM
    Physics 11-vectors
    Tammy leaves the office, drives 26km due north, then turns onto a second highway and continues in a directiion of 30.0 degrees north of east for 62km. What's her total displacement from the office?

I can't quite understand how to do this since there's no 90 degree angle. The textbook went over it but I didn't get it at all... any help would be apprietiated. Thank you!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 01:53 PM

The resultant vector is the distance from the office. There doesn't have to be a 90 degree angle.

1. You know the distance from the office to the turn.
    2. Start at the turn and create a triangle using a continuation of the northbound road, the 30 degree angle. At the end of the 62 km, drop a perpendicular to the northbound extension. That will give you your right triangle. You then want to construct the final vector from the origin to the endpoint. You will have two right triangles to solve.
    9665 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2009, 02:40 PM

Huh??
    Nhatkiem Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

Oct 26, 2009, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 9665 View Post
    Tammy leaves the office, drives 26km due north, then turns onto a second highway and continues in a directiion of 30.0 degrees north of east for 62km. What's her total displacement from the office?

I can't quite understand how to do this since there's no 90 degree angle. The textbook went over it but I didn't get it at all...any help would be apprietiated. thank you!
    In this situation you know a pattern of information

Side angle side!

Use the law of cosines to figure out the missing side

where c is the unknown length, a and b are the sides given, and is the angle opposite side c.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

General physics, vectors [ 2 Answers ]

Suppose a bear travels 2 km/hr due east for 30 minutes, 4km/ hr northeast for 15 minutes then 6 km/hr due west for 15 minutes. a) what distance did the bear travel during this trip? b) what was the bear's average speed during the trip? c) at the end of the trip, what displacement (magnitude and...

How to do vectors [ 2 Answers ]

My name is chris and I am currently attending ITT technical. My question is how to do vector problems in trig.

Vectors in physics [ 3 Answers ]

A swimmer is capable of swimming 0.50 m/s in still water. If she aims her body directly across a 75 m-wide river whose current is 0.35 m/s, how far downstream (from a point opposite her starting point) will she land?

Physics of adding and subtracting vectors [ 1 Answers ]

30. A jogger travels a route that has two parts, the first is a displacement A of 2.50 km due south and the second involves a displacement B that points due east. (a) the resultant displacement of A + B has a magnitude of 3.75 km. what is the magnitude of B, and what is the direction of A + B...

View more questions Search