Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    freddmar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2009, 12:03 PM
    A/C fan motor installation
    The model is an AO Smith #F48K93A01.

The wires to the capacitor are the brown; brown & white. Rotation are the black and white wires... Here is where I am confused... diagram shows yellow wire and black wire going to the line.

What line? Where should this line be?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2009, 12:44 PM

There is no universally accepted color code. In fact, some motors have 3 wires and others have 4. One is internally connected to the capacitor.

LINE and LOAD are universally accecpted terms. LINE, meaning POWER LINE voltage; LOAD being this like motors and heaters. LINE also means power in.

In your case, the browns go to the capacitor. With AC capacitors, there is no polarity.

Black is HOT and White is NEUTRAL. Usual connections. White is probably connected to one of the browns.
    ptcpaul01 Posts: 15, Reputation: -2

Oct 26, 2009, 12:57 PM

Kiss is right
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 26, 2009, 02:05 PM
    See here
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Doc1.pdf (158.6 KB, 175 views)
    czadna Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2009, 08:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    There is no universally accepted color code. In fact, some motors have 3 wires and others have 4. One is internally connected to the capacitor.

LINE and LOAD are universally accecpted terms. LINE, meaning POWER LINE voltage; LOAD being this like motors and heaters. LINE also means power in.

In your case, the browns go to the capacitor. With AC capacitors, there is no polarity.

Black is HOT and White is NEUTRAL. Usual connections. White is probably connected to one of the browns.
    I have just replaced the fan motor in my Tempstar 5000 condenser. The old motor had only 3 wires coming out of it: Black, Red and Brown.
    The new motor has Black, Yellow, Brown and Brown/White. I know Brown or Brown/White should go to the capacitor but, I have a dual start capacitor that has 3 connections on the top: Compressor, Fan and Common. Do I put both Brown wires on the Fan terminal? I really can't afford to screw anything up.

Oct 27, 2009, 05:52 AM
    Wiring - condenser fan motor!
    I have just replaced the fan motor in my Tempstar 5000 condenser. The old motor had only 3 wires coming out of it: Black, Red and Brown.
    The new motor has Black, Yellow, Brown and Brown/White. I know Brown or Brown/White should go to the capacitor but, I have a dual start capacitor that has 3 connections on the top: Compressor, Fan and Common. Do I put both Brown wires on the Fan terminal? I really can't afford to screw anything up.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2009, 06:11 AM

I would think their would be a small diagram on Motor showing Capacitor and Power connections.
    If I was to guess, and I won't, it would be capacitor across the brown and brown/white.
    Power to Black and Yellow.
    Is the Fan using part of the capacitor? Or is it just for Compressor?
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2009, 06:50 AM

There is usually a diagram on the motor. Usually, the motor cap is replaced when the motor is replaced.

Polarity is imaterial. As lomg as the cap wires are correct and the line wires are correct, your good to go.

The three terminal capacitor has a common terminal.

Usually, one would disconnect the motor and add a new capacitor in a different location.

The replacement motor may use a different value.

So, independently connect the new cap. Now you have 2 wires left. One will go to the common terminal and the other will go to the contactor. (it's wire went to the capacitor in a 3 wire setup)

Remember that in a 4 wire setup, 2 of the wires are connected together internally. Four wires makes it a bit easier for retrofit applications. Also remember --> Niew motor... replace capacitor.

Oct 27, 2009, 07:21 AM

As I stated, the capacitor is a dual start that runs the compressor and the fan. The diagram on the motor shows the brown wire on one side of the capacitor & the brown/white on the other side of it. The capacitor has only 3 positions - Compressor, Fan & Common. There are 4 blades for each of the 3 positions on the top of the capacitor.

Oct 27, 2009, 07:30 AM

I already replaced the capacitor with a new one that has identical values as the old one. The only thing that is different between the motors is the # of wires, the color of the wires and the RPM (old motor: 1150rpm; new motor 1075rpm).
    On the old setup, the brown wire from the motor splits and goes to both the capacitor and the contactor. Should I run the brown to the capacitor and, the brown/white to the contactor? Or, vice-versa?
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2009, 08:49 AM

Ok, try again.

The new motor has 4 wires. Go to the new capacitor. You know which ones they are. Wire hem to the capacitor. Polarity doesn't matter. Your done wit the new motor capacitor wires.

You have two wires left. They go to power, 240 VAC power to be exact. One of these will go to the COMMON terminals of the three wire capacitor. It went to the old motor a terminal of the contactor together.

Now the old motor was connected to the other pole of the contactactor. The other power wire goes there.

Look at it this way: The capacitor is the capacitor. Leave it independent on the new motor capacitor.

Now the motor needs power. 240 VAC (LINE in) will connect to the contactor. The contactor will connect to the fan and compressor. Follow the electricity. From the wall to the contactor, to the fan motor, return out of the fan motor, to the other side of the contactor and back to power.

A quick test. Once it's connected, manually push the contactor with something insulated briefly. The compressor and fan should both start.

Oct 27, 2009, 12:48 PM
    This is a drawing of how the old motor was wired. You'll see the new motor in the top left and, why I am questioning how to wire it. I assume the YELLOW WIRE will replace the RED WIRE and, the BLACK WIRE will be the same. How should I connect the BROWN WIRE & BROWN/WHITE WIRE ?
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Oct 27, 2009, 01:31 PM

Black and Red OLD, become Black and Yellow of NEW motor, respectively. (polarity doesn't matter, but Black to black makes sense.

Disconnect Brown of the OLD motor. (F) stays unconnected.

Brown & Brown/white go to new capacitor. Again, polarity doesn't matter.

Oct 27, 2009, 01:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Black and Red OLD, become Black and Yellow of NEW motor, respectively. (polarity doesn't matter, but Black to black makes sense.

Disconnect Brown of the OLD motor. (F) stays unconnected.

Brown & Brown/white go to new capacitor. Again, polarity doesn't matter.
    You have totally lost me. You say "F" stays unconnected but, then to connect the BRN & BRN/WHT wires to the capacitor. Which is it? Does it matter where on the capacitor the wires get connected? Don't they go to the "F" terminal?
    The BROWN wires are my concern. I'm okay about YELLOW replacing RED.
    The 3 terminals on the top of the capacitor are as follows:
    HERM = power to Compressor
    COMM = power from the contactor
    FAN = power to the fan motor
    right?

Oct 27, 2009, 01:58 PM
    Will this work? Or, do I need to do something different with the BRN & BRN/WHT wires?
    Attached Images

hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 02:06 PM
    Do not use old capacitor if you have a new one for the new motor. Just forget the old capacitor exists for fan usage but leave hooked up for compressor usage only.

Then wire brown/white and brown to one wire to each side of the new capacitor you got for the new fan motor.

Then black to one side of contactor and yellow to the other side of contactor since these are the only two wires left.

Oct 27, 2009, 02:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    Do not use old capacitor if you have a new one for the new motor. Just forget the old capacitor exists for fan usage but leave hooked up for compressor usage only.

Then wire brown/white and brown to one wire to each side of the new capacitor you got for the new fan motor.

Then black to one side of contactor and yellow to the other side of contactor since these are the only two wires left.
    Okay,
    1st - Let me apologize for any communication errors on my part. I have no experience with these things. I was hoping that the fan motor would be an exact replacement but, there is 1 extra wire now.

2nd - the capacitor IS new. It is identical to the old one (except it is metal- the old one was plastic).

3rd - the capacitor runs BOTH- the compressor & the fan - it is a dual run capacitor, just like the old one.

4th - there are 3 connections (H,C,F) on the top of the capacitor - NOT 2 sides.

It sounds like you are wanting me to use a different capacitor for the Compressor & the Fan. I only have the 1 dual run capacitor.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2009, 03:24 PM

If the fan is hooked to the cap, I think you can leave connected. Then have the Motor have its own Capacitor, You don't Have to use both of the capacitors in a dual cap. I'm guessing Motor didn't come with Cap, does it show capacitance?

Oct 27, 2009, 05:09 PM

It's just a motor & it requires a 5µƒ capacitor... the capacitor is a 35/5 dual start capacitor.

Oct 27, 2009, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    I would think thier would be a small diagram on Motor showing Capacitor and Power connections.
    If I was to guess, and I won't, it would be capacitor across the brown and brown/white.
    Power to Black and Yellow.
    Is the Fan using part of the capacitor? or is it just for Compressor?
    The capacitor runs the compressor AND the fan motor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace Blower Motor Installation [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Lennox Heating & Colling furnace which needs a new blower motor. Is it difficult to install and are there any specifics I need to be aware? I know I should turn off the power and circuit to the furnace, screw the new motor in, match the color coded wires. Is there anything I should do...

Fan motor hums after installation. [ 1 Answers ]

My son and I installed a new Hunter ceiling fan and it made a humming sound when power was turned on. We know that it is not a defective motor because we took the fan down and put it in another room and it made no noise. We installed the same model Hunter fan (new) in the original location and it...

Installation of condenser fan motor [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire a condenser fan motor?

Goodman AC/Furnace: condenser not coming on after installation of new blower motor [ 6 Answers ]

Have and outside Goodman AC unit and Goodman furnace (inside duh!). Anyhoo, after installing new blower motor the AC unit will not kick on. Have reset outside breaker, and double checking wiring on controller board on furnace, noticed one blue wire was disconnected, reconnected that and still not...

View more questions Search