Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emonique333 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2006, 01:24 PM
    Bank of America Overpayment
    Apologies in advance for long post.

So my story is I gave notice rather abruptly at Bank of America when I worked in their customer service dept. I'm not 100% positive of the date but I believe it was May 23rd of this year. Anyway, my last paycheck from them was a full check which surprised me. My mom warned me that BofA would probably want some of that money back so I made sure I squared some of it away.

Fast forward to the end of June/July and I get the letter from BofA saying we'd like $318 back. I expected this so I was all intent to send them the money. I wrote out the check & everything. Of course since I'm a procrastinator I hadn't gotten around to mailing it, but I figured there wasn't too much of a rush. In the meantime, I get another letter from BofA, this time saying they wanted a little over $500. I'm confused so I call them up at the number they give and to be honest I don't really understand why I ended up owing more but I figure that's just me being really bad at math. So I say okay, I'll send another check for the remaining amount. Not really happy about it, but if I owe it I'll pay it.

Then I get a letter from them again saying your overpayment balance is $712.57. So I call them & the rep gives me the explanation that they forgot to calculate in some vacation time that I took before I had acrued it. I was really pissed off, not at the rep, but that they couldn't just give me a definite amount and show me how it came to that. Like I said, I want to pay what I owe but I'd like the set amount so I can write the check. I asked the rep to send me the calculation showing how they got to this amount. Just for my records. This call took place about a week ago. Week & a half at the most.

Fast forward to them sending me the calculation I asked for with a letter enclosed saying, "Thank you for your check(s) in the amount of $560. Please note the remaining balance of overpayment is $616.57."

So now I'm freaking out & a little pissed that I have to continue going back & forth with them. They are closed on the weekend so I have to call on tomorrow.

Is this legal? Can they just keep adding money on top of what they claim I owe? If they had just given me a letter back in June saying what I owe this wouldn't really be a problem. But every time I send them money, they say I owe them more. Very frustrating. How can they go from you owe us $300 to $1176 ($560 plus $616)
    If I go to a lawyer is there anything they can do?

Any help appreciated.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2006, 04:04 PM
    Tell him to provide you with a full acoountinf of the alleged overpayment, to included certified bookkeeping record for that amount.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 5, 2006, 04:52 PM
    Yes inform them that they have been paid in full, and that you demand a full accounting of this matter. Send it to them certified, if they continue to bill, you should get legal advice on the matter.

Also if you can, have you went into human resourse to discuss this with them
    velvetjones Posts: 78, Reputation: 11

Nov 20, 2006, 12:23 PM
    ... and get and keep everything in writing. I'd even record dates and times of phone conversations with the company, names of persons spoken to on the phone and in person. It's called covering yer butt. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support Overpayment [ 13 Answers ]

In 2005 the State of Indiana intercepted my '04 Tax returns to repay the $5500 in welfare that my ex received for my son. My Fed return was $6200 and my state was $450. They started taking $85/wk when my order was for $54/wk. The next year they took the Fed $2597 and the State $200 with no...

America: Freedom to Fascism-- Must See! [ 6 Answers ]

Watch this for free: There is no law requiring you to pay taxes, and the government will not even show us the LAW!! Why is that I have not received any respond from my Senator or representatives in regards to that question, WHY!! :mad: Use this link: ...

Child Support Overpayment [ 2 Answers ]

I am in South Carolina. My last child graduated from high school in May. My ex continued to pay child support for 6 weeks. I was struggling financially at the time and thought he was being considerate since the payments were no burden for him. Now he says he made the payments in error and has...

Jungles of South America [ 1 Answers ]

Is quicksand found in the Jungle?

View more questions Search