Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    striv1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2009, 06:47 AM
    Voltage drop calculation
    I am finishing a room in my basement and I am installing 8 duplex receptacles and one switched light. The line I am feeding the circuit with is on a 15 Amp 120V line and it is about 25 feet from the breaker box to the entrance of the room I am finishing. If I just run one continuous loop around the entire room the total circuit is about 110 feet and according to my calcualtions the total voltage drop exceeds the 3% suggested maximum even if I use 12/2 wire. Would I be better off splitting the circuit when it enters the room and do two shorter runs in opposite directions or does that not help the voltage drop issue?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Oct 26, 2009, 01:15 PM
    I'd use 14/2 and not give it as second thought.

What load are you using to figure the VD?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2009, 02:22 PM

Usually one doesn't care, because the loads are generally not well known. It's always a good idea to make the lighting loads separate, so you don't end up in the dark.

You could break it up into two 4- receptacle circuits, every other one. You can pigtail with a smaller wire 14 or 12 in the outlets, which is a good idea anyway. The smallest wire determines the breaker size.

The arrangement can make a difference, especially if the expected large load is closer. Center fed offers no advantage.

Is this a one-way drop? e.g. 110 ft of wire which translates to a 220 foot run.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Voltage drop [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone please post the formula for voltage drop? Many thanks.

If i have a 3 phase motor running in 440volts and drives the cetrifugal fan, then the voltage drops to 20 percent, what happened to running current does it increas or decrease.

Feeder Voltage Drop calculation [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 200 Amp Electrical Service and I would like to install a 60 Amp Sub Panel in a building 300 feet away. I will have 120 volt and 240 volts loads at the building. To calculate the size of the feeder to the building, do I use 120 volts or 240 volts in my voltage drop calculations?

Voltage drop [ 1 Answers ]

The Voltage will drop after 150 meter wire ,how to sole the problem . Thanks to all

A 300sq mm cable is to be laid for 600mtr. Distance. As the distance is large so there are considerable voltage drop at the receiving side. How can we cope up with this voltage drop at the receiving end? We want a constant voltage ofd 415 V at receiving end irrespective of input voltage? ...

View more questions Search