Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Oct 25, 2009, 03:08 PM
    A Puzzle
    This puzzles me. (I know, that's not too difficult)

Headline in Tyler newspaper: Obama declares H1N1 a national emergency.

From statistics I've heard, and comments from doctors, H1N1 is no more dangerous than the seasonal flu. So why all the hullaballoo?

Is this merely a diversion so we will not notice something else?

Will it be blown into a crisis that must not be wasted?
    phlanx Posts: 213, Reputation: 13

Oct 25, 2009, 03:14 PM

Evening Gal

The way it was reported over here is that when the order was signed for the national emergency, it was to get the system working for rolling out the services required to administer the vaccine

Aparantly they were no other way og getting the vaccine to be delivered in your constitution
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2009, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    So why all the hullaballoo?
    "Health authorities say more than 1,000 people in the United States, including almost 100 children, have died from the strain of flu known as H1N1, and 46 states have widespread flu activity.... a level comparable to the peak of ordinary flu seasons, but far earlier and with more waves of infection expected.Officials have also declared that Canada is in its “second wave” of the H1N1 pandemic."

^
    That.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2009, 04:49 PM

I've got a real headscratcher for you Galveston:

If there really IS a pandemic going on then WHY doesn't Obama have his two girls vaccinated for the H1N1 virus? Huh? He's just declared a pandemic in the USA and won't have his own kids take the shot. Guess he and his family don't have to. That really gets my BS meter working overtime thinking that there really is no pandemic after all.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 25, 2009, 04:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    won't have his own kids take the shot. Guess he and his family don't have to.
    Where did you hear or read that, that "he won't" let his kids get the shot?

He and Michelle probably don't need to get the H1N1 shot, but because of their public contact will get the seasonal one.

Oct 25, 2009, 05:01 PM

Evening

I thought it was W.H.O. that declared a pandemic and not a givern country?
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2009, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Where did you hear or read that, that "he won't" let his kids get the shot?

He and Michelle probably don't need to get the H1N1 shot, but because of their public contact will get the seasonal one.
    Where did I read this?

Well, it seems that the blabbermouth in the White House said this. He's known as Robert Gibbs, White House Press Secretary.

Just Google this and you'll get pages and pages about this. That's where. Let me guess. You don't think Robert Gibbs, White House Press Secretary, is a reliable source either? Why don't you be a good Obamatron and send him a letter telling him his daughters need to be protected from this vile flu pandemic along with everyone else's children. Let them take the risks of being permanently neurologically messed up. And be sure to remind him to have his 2 darlings "protected" with that wonderful Guardasil vaccine at the same time. I'll even happily pay the postage for that letter for you.

It's called poison the peasants. The richo's and elite don't need this poison or get this poison.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 25, 2009, 06:30 PM
    be sure to remind him to have his 2 darlings "protected" with that wonderful Guardasil vaccine at the same time. I'll even happily pay the postage for that letter for you.
    No postage needed. I got direct connections to him.
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2009, 06:43 PM

The Centers for Disease Control recommend that children ages 6 months through 18 years of age receive a vaccination against the H1N1 flu virus. At this time only children with chronic medical conditions are receiving the vaccination because their immune system is not strong enough to fight off the strain. The CDC also says a regular seasonal flu shot does not protect against the virus.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 25, 2009, 07:00 PM
    The CDC also says a regular seasonal flu shot does not protect against the virus.
    No, it doesn't. The two are as different as apples and oranges.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 25, 2009, 07:02 PM
    Let them take the risks of being permanently neurologically messed up.
    The newspapers and Internet news should soon be full of stories of the serious illness and deaths of those children who received the H1N1 vaccine.

From abovetopsecret.com --

President Obama's school age daughters have not been vaccinated against the H1N1 flu virus. White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs says the vaccine is not available to them based on their risk.

The Centers for Disease Control recommend that children ages 6 months through 18 years of age receive a vaccination against the H1N1 flu virus. At this time only children with chronic medical conditions are receiving the vaccination because their immune system is not strong enough to fight off the strain. The CDC also says a regular seasonal flu shot does not protect against the virus.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 03:20 AM
    Simply stated ;this is a preemptive move anticipating the worse case scenario. It allows emergency rooms to move off site to treat patients without infecting other patients.

And no ;it doensn't mean those imaginary concentration camps are in operation .And no ;it doesn't mean RF chips are to be implanted .

FYI Guilford High school in Connecticut is shut down until at least Wednesday because 1/2 of the student body was out sick Friday.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Oct 26, 2009, 08:41 AM

Here's my understanding...

WHO declared an emergency back in March regarding H1N1. At that point, the US Department of Health and Human Services still didn't have a head because Obama hadn't appointed one yet.

In April 2008, Kathleen Sebelius was nominated and approved for DHH Secrertary. At that point she started the government's program to get the H1N1 vaccine made and into circulation. At that time, she predicted that there would be 120 million vaccine doses available by the beginning of October. To date, 1.6 million have been made available.

Between April and now, there has been serious debate about just how bad H1N1 is.

WHO is calling it a pandemic, which it is according to the definition of pandemic (a disease that has been observed in multiple countries on multiple continents). "Pandemic" merely means that it is widespread, but it does NOT address the deadliness of the virus. Technically the common cold is a "pandemic", as is the seasonal flu.

WHO also called it a "threat to the entire world", which would SEEM to be a statement of the deadliness of the disease.

In the USA, doctors have stated that there is little difference in terms of mortality between the seasonal flu and the swine flu. Swine flu hits harder and lasts longer, but survival rates are roughly the same.

So why call a "state of emergency"?

There are certain actions that the HHS Secretary is allowed to take during a state of emergency that cannot be taken during a state of normal affairs.

Because Subelius' original predictions of vaccine availability were so far off, she needed to take certain actions to correct that problem and get more vaccine made and out to the public. She could only take those actions if there was a state of emergency. So Obama granted her that ability by making the declaration.

So the bottom line is that the "declaration of a state of emergency" is merely a poilitical/administrative fiction to allow Sebelius more flexibility to do her job.

The PROBLEM with that is that it dilutes the concept of "state of emergency", which is usually applied to natural disasters, serious military attacks and anything that actually threatens the lives of large numbers of Americans. The idea of using a "state of emergency" in order to allow administrative activities to take place to me seems a frivolous and an agregious abuse of emergency powers.

In a way, Obama made the declaration to save himself embarrassment... after all, if Sebelius turned out of be incapable of doing the job she was appointed to, it would make HIM look bad for appointing her (just like Bush's appointment of Bron as head of FEMA made Bush look bad after Katrina). Giving her the necessary flexibility to fix her mess was in Obama's best interests. But it had nothing to do with the actual deadliness of the virus.

Because the WHO made their pandemic alert, Obama was technically within his legal authority to make the declaration. But I think it was wrong to do so for something that is clearly NOT that sort of life-threatening emergency.

Elliot
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Oct 26, 2009, 04:38 PM

So, bottom line,

H1N1 is hyped as a "national emergency" on the basis of what it MIGHT do?

Okay, so then when it turns out to be nothing serious, team Obama can claim to have saved us from disaster.

Right!

Plans could certainly be put in place to provide vaccine, just in case, without the scare tactics.

I still think the hype may be a red herring.

Oct 26, 2009, 04:55 PM
    So, bottom line,

Okay, so then when it turns out to be nothing serious, team Obama can claim to have saved us from disaster.

Right!!

Plans could certainly be put in place to provide vaccine, just in case, without the scare tactics.

Hey, at least yours only saved you from disaster - our prime minister has saved the world

YouTube - gordon-brown-save-the-world.flv

:D
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 06:24 PM
    This puzzles me. (I know, that's not too difficult)

Headline in Tyler newspaper: Obama declares H1N1 a national emergency.

From statistics I've heard, and comments from doctors, H1N1 is no more dangerous than the seasonal flu. So why all the hullaballoo?

Is this merely a diversion so we will not notice something else?

Will it be blown into a crisis that must not be wasted?
    It's the first crisis of his presidentcy so he might be inclined to over react particularly since his predecessor was criticised for being slow to react. H1N1 is being closely watched by the media and every death will undoubtedly be reported where as the flu is old news and hardly noticed. There is a report suggesting 98% of flu cases this season have been H1N1. What puzzles me is the supply of vaccine will not keep up with demand so why keep pushing people to be vaccinated

Oct 27, 2009, 07:33 AM
    So, bottom line,

Hey... if he can win an Nobel Peace Prize based on what he MIGHT accomplish sometime in the future, then he can just as easily declare a national emergency based on what H1N1 MIGHT do. Same logic.

Right!
    Yep... just like if Corzine wins in NJ next week, he can claim that it's because of the popularity of his policies.

What... and not have Obama make media appearances to hype himself for his swift action in dealing with the crisis?

I still think you're right.

Elliot

Oct 27, 2009, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    it's the first crisis of his presidentcy
    Aside from the recession, the failures of the banks, the failures of the auto makers, 10% unemployment (17% real unemployment), a $3.6 trillion budget deficit, and a $12+ trillion national debt.

And didn't he also declare a "health care crisis" as the reason he needed to force health care reform down everyone's throats before the August recess?

And wasn't there an "environmental crisis" that he needed to address which was an excuse to force "cap & trade" through the House?

And wasn't there a "budget crisis" used as an excuse to rush through the omnibus spending bill?

Frankly, this President keeps declaring national emergencies for things that really aren't that important or pressing. For him EVERYTHING is a crisis. And he overreacts to ALL of them.

Elliot
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2009, 07:45 AM

Hello:

You guys are bonkers. If the part of government you DON'T like says there's a pandemic, you go - wait just a minute here...

But, if the part of government you ADORE says we need to search everybody's emails WITHOUT a warrant, you're right there...

Silly Republicans.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 07:46 AM

Hey... if he can win an Nobel Peace Prize based on what he MIGHT accomplish sometime in the future, then he can just as easily declare a national emergency based on what H1N1 MIGHT do. Same logic.
    Yup he's ahead of the curve

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring Puzzle [ 5 Answers ]

I just purchased on old loft. I opened a four panel box (I want to swap out some of the switches for dimmers) and discovered the following: B/W/R B/W/R B/W/R B/W B/W/R So four sets of wires coming in from the top of the box (three sets of Black/White/Red and one set of...

The Beanfeast Puzzle. [ 1 Answers ]

THE BEANFEAST PUZZLE. A number of men went out together on a bean-feast. There were four Parties invited--namely, 25 cobblers, 20 tailors, 18 hatters, and 12 Glovers. They spent altogether $15.96. It was found that five cobblers Spent as much as four tailors; that twelve tailors spent as much...

Word puzzle [ 8 Answers ]

Can you figure out what this says? 10926

Thunderbird puzzle [ 2 Answers ]

I received an email on Thunderbird with an URL for a Flicker Photo Album. But it will not open. I forwarded it to my other computer also with Thunderbird and it opened straight away. I can not find the reason why it will not open on the first computer. Does anybody know the answer to this problem...

View more questions Search