Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hammer495 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2009, 06:40 AM
    New heat pump with old smaller air handler
    I had a 10 seer heat pump that was replace with a 13 seer heat pump. The air handler or coil was not change it is a 10 seer. My problem is I have 1039 sq ft. my den and bedroom are the farest away from air handler the den has no air flow and bedroom has very little. What is the problem.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 25, 2009, 01:36 PM
    The actual problem is hard to say. Dirty air filters, dirty original indoor coil, improper duct connections or the coil inside might be icing up due to the mis-matched indoor coil.

If the indoor coil does not have a thermostatic expansion valve installed and you run a 10 SEER coil with a 13 SEER outside unit major problems can and do occur.

A 13 SEER outside heat pump should never be installed with an old 10 SEER coil. You might be able to get away with it on a strait A/C system but not on a heat pump. Whoever installed your new outside unit did you a great injustice and I suggest you call them back to do the job correctly.

Here are a few files on the subject of mis-matching new outside units to old coils.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf mismatch[1].pdf (19.3 KB, 149 views)
  2. File Type: pdf AlabamaStudy.pdf (428.6 KB, 202 views)
  3. File Type: pdf MismatchedSystems.pdf (131.5 KB, 165 views)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Choosing heat pump and air handler package [ 6 Answers ]

My trane xl1000 compressor died and I am obtaining quotes from several sources on a replacement air handler and heat pump. Here are my choices: From quote A: We can install a Bryant model FX4CNF030 air handler with a 20kw heat package and a Bryant model 265ANH030 heat pump condenser for...

Sears, Home Depot, or a private HVAC co. To install new heat pump and air handler? [ 7 Answers ]

Dear hvac-talk man, I love your website and your use of the Word of God, and I could use your advice about my heat pump system. I have a quote from a private HVAC company for a Trane 3 ton 15 SEER Heat Pump System with a variable speed indoor unit using R410A, and the equipment warranty is...

Getting a new heat pump: get new air handler too? [ 3 Answers ]

My heat pump (outside condenser unit) is dying and needs replacement. Indoor air handler running fine. Both units are 10 year old Carriers. 2 questions: 1. Do I need to replace the indoor air handler unit at the same time? I know doing so would be best for efficiency, but ignoring that, is it OK...

New Heat Pump/Air Handler [ 1 Answers ]

We live in a 3 level, small single family house. We are replacing our heat pump and air handler - We want to know if a 2.5 ton unit (either in or out) can be paired with a 2 ton unit. Do they both have to be the same amount of tons?

How to wire a heat pump & varialble air handler [ 2 Answers ]

Please help how to wire a Goodman 13seer 1.5 ton heat pump and 2.5 ton variable speed air handler to a EWC BMplus 3000 Zoning control system. Thanks, Alo:confused:

View more questions Search