Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2009, 09:55 PM
    lycanthropy and zooanthropic paranoia
    I want to know more about lycanthropy and similar mental conditions out of pure curiosity. Is it a legitimate thing? What do lycanthropics do? How do doctors diagnose something like that? I read about it in a book and now I'm curious =) Any and all answers will be much apprieciated.
    Rhiannnonn Posts: 62, Reputation: 4

Oct 29, 2009, 09:46 PM

I once worked in a restaurant with a woman who claimed to be lycanthropic. However, it was also obvious that she'd been out in the mid-day sun too long without a hat, if you know what I mean.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Nov 3, 2009, 11:11 AM
    Is this when people think they are warewolves and such?
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 11:31 AM

This doesn't answer my question...
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Nov 3, 2009, 11:35 AM

Sorry.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2009, 09:56 AM

Lycanthropy, a psychosis in which the patient has delusions of being a wild animal (usually a wolf), has been recorded since antiquity. The Book of Daniel describes King Nebuchadnezzar as suffering from depression that deteriorated over a seven-year period into a frank psychosis at which time he imagined himself a wolf. Among the first medical descriptions were those of Paulus Aegineta during the later days of the Roman Empire. In his description of the symptom complex, Aegineta made reference to Greek mythology in which Zeus turned King Lycaon of Arcadia into a raging wolf. Thereafter, references to lycanthropy appeared in the ancient literature. Many medieval theologians envisioned lycanthropy as a consequence of the evil eye.

Delusions of being a wolf or some other feared animal are universal and, although rare in the industrialized countries, still occur in China, India, Africa, and Central and South America. The animals in the delusioned transformation include leopards, lions, elephants, crocodiles, sharks, buffalo, eagles, and serpents.

Not infrequently, bizarre and chaotic sexuality is expressed in a primitive way through the lycanthropic symptom complex. Patients whose internal fears exceed their coping mechanisms may externalize them via projection and constitute a serious threat to others. Throughout the ages, such individuals have been feared because of their tendencies to commit bestial acts and were themselves hunted and killed by the populace. Many of these people were paranoid schizophrenics.

Case Report

A Case of Lycanthropy--Rostenstock and Vincent

I could not find anything on zooanthropic paranoia sorry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Haunted or just paranoia? [ 8 Answers ]

Hey, I need something cleared up here. I might tend to be paranoid about stuff. Anyway, lately I've been talking to a friend about 'night attackers' as he calls them. He's haunted, and he's haunted by inhuman beings. They aren't ghosts, but he thinks that they are beings trying to create fear in...

Pregnancy or Paranoia [ 3 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend like to fool around a lot, and I'm not on the pill. However this is the first time we actually had sex, with a condom but it wasn't on the whole time. He put it on about half way through, and pulled out when he cam. I have a irregular period, so a missed period or light one has...

How do I control my paranoia? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I think I suffer from paranoia, I think I got it from my mom, she doesn't like elevators cause she's paranoid she's going to get stuck so I don't like them either, were both clausterphobic, once I went to a club and had a panic attack, whenever I don't sleep in my own home I start panicking in...

Paranoia got me [ 1 Answers ]

So, as you all know, the election of the year has caused a lot of tension between races in some states. My problem is that in the state that I live in, I feel like I could be a target for abuse or murder all because of the current election. It honestly has me afraid to leave my house or be home...

Marihuana - paranoia [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I started smokeing marihuana 3 years from now, at first I smoked intensevly and through time I smoked less and less. Now for the past few months when I smoke it I have this attacks, some sorth of paranoia. I can get on a noraml level. I can also feel depresive. Do u have any idea what is...

View more questions Search