Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    please help me1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2009, 07:24 PM
    MTD rideon mower won't crank
    I have an MTD rideon mower that has sat for about a year and a half I have replaced the battery, selonoid and starter. After relacing battery it crank once and now won't do anything and the crankshaft is really tight is there anything I can do to get th crankshaft to loosen up
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Oct 25, 2009, 08:17 AM

Hi,
    Could be the starter pinion wedged in the ring gear. Try manually spinning engine counter-clockwise to counteract, if this is the case.
    Could be that after sitting so long that the cylinder filled with fuel and is hydraulically locking. Remove spark plug and try to turn it over to clear the fuel from the cylinder (this should be done carefully as it presents a fire hazard.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mower won't crank continuous battery 12.38 volts [ 2 Answers ]

I have a huskee rider. My battery checks 12.38 volts. When I push in clutch and turn key it cranks 1 or 2 times and then stops then clicks as to try, but flywheel barely moves. Battery is 2 years old. Please help.

Gas pouring out air filter, lawn mower won't crank [ 3 Answers ]

My mom has a Snapper, 15hp Kohler engine. The last time she mowed the grass it ran fine. She turned it off for about an hour and it wouldn't crank again. Gas poured out of the air filter. Later, she got it running but for only a few minutes and it shut down. Could it have something to do with...

Pony troy bilt 8sp rideon mower will not stay running [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Pony troy Bilt 8sp mower. The battery never is enough to start the tractor (because its not used enough), so I always put a charger on the battery for a few hours and than it starts. However, recently I tried this and it would not work. Now when I hook up the cables on my charger, it...

Lawn mower will not crank, begins to crank and locks up. [ 1 Answers ]

I try starting my lawnmower (Craftsman DLT 3000, 18.5 HP), the engine starts to crank and locks up. I remove the spark plug and engine keeps cranking. When I put the spark plug back in the engine begins to crank and locks up. I can manually turn back the pully cover on top the engine and the...

Mower won't start/crank [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 14 HP B&S Murray Riding Lawn Mower that won't crank. It is an older mower but has been very good and is well maintained. When I try to crank it the flywheel turns a half turn or so and seems to be locking/hanging up. I have just purchased a new battery. No luck. Seems this happened once...

View more questions Search