Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dark_angel Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2006, 06:52 AM
    Air conditioning and heating problem
    My air conditioner keeps freezing up and usually all it needs is more freon. Now my heating won't shut off the thermostat seems to be stuck on 75* even though I have it on 70* or I think it is clicking when I pull it by 75* when I tried to get it to shut off. Is my thermostat gone bad or is it something else. Please help it is getting colder here.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Nov 5, 2006, 06:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dark_angel
    My air conditioner keeps freezing up and usually all it needs is more freon. Now my heating wont shut off the thermostat seems to be stuck on 75* even though i have it on 70* or i think it is clicking when i pull it by 75* when i tried to get it to shut off. Is my thermostat gone bad or is it something else. Please help it is getting colder here.
    AC apprears maybe to be low on freon, possibly a leak or it's been quite a while since a professional cked the freon? as to the heat, did you let the unit have a few minutes to cycle from AC to Heat, if so try cutting it back off then back on.

Nov 5, 2006, 08:57 AM
    I tried to shut the unit off in the back and not with the thermostat and it wouldn't shut off so I had to flip the breaker to shut it off.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2006, 01:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dark_angel
    I tried to shut the unit off in the back and not with the thermostat and it wouldn't shut off so I had to flip the breaker to shut it off.
    The outside unit won't turn off? Even when stat is on off?

Nov 5, 2006, 04:46 PM
    The thermostat in the living room usually you can turn in to a lower setting and it will turn off... when that wouldn't work I went to the unit in the back room to turn it off... no luck the blower continued to run and it was blowing the same hot air... so I flip the breaker in the fuse box to shut it off. The breaker was the only way to stop it from running. Later on in the afternoon I flipped the breaker back on and the unit stayed shut off so I don't know what is going on. Usually when it won't shut off I can turn the unit off on the furnace itself like when the air freezes it but never has it happen for the heat part to do it. Got me stumped. I was thinking it's the thermostat in the living room but didn't won't to start changing a lot of parts and not get the problem.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2006, 04:55 PM
    Is it a furnace or heat pump? Whatever, you can isolate the problem by pulling the red wire off that runs to the thermostat either at the thermostat or furnace. If it still runs, it isn't the thermostat.

Nov 5, 2006, 05:07 PM
    I will try that... thanks and it's a furnace. Central heat and air unit combo. No heat pump I wish... maybe if it was my electric bill wouldn't be 300 a month.

Nov 5, 2006, 05:18 PM
    Thanks for all the help everyone... the unit is working fine now or at least at the moment. I know the thermostat was heating at 75* when I had it on 70* and wouldn't lower so maybe I will run it at a cooler temp to accommodate the temp problem. It is shutting off for the moment anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central air conditioning problem [ 2 Answers ]

My central air conditioning unit seems to work well with normal air flow. On several occasions at night the inside coil has frozen allowing little air to pass. I have reset the thermostat to a higher setting allowing the coil to thaw and air flow returns to normal. The daytime temps have been in...

Air conditioning mishap [ 2 Answers ]

Please excuse my lack of knowledge about all things mechanical/electrical, but here we go... I was trimming around my rheem a/c unit with my weedeater and accidentally snagged a thin brown wire and gave it a REALLY hard yank. I stopped and gingerly checked to make sure it was still connected...

Air Conditioning [ 7 Answers ]

You should have 5 wires running to the outside unit. 2 big heavy, insulated ones plus a ground from the breaker outside by the unit, and a couple of little insulated ones coming out from the furnace. With the thermostat calling for cooling, the big ones should have 240 V between them and the...

View more questions Search