Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shivangi Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2006, 02:33 AM
    Legal formalities in India and France
    Hello everyone,

I was hoping if someone can help me with this. I am Indian and my fiancé is French and we are to get married next year. I wish to apply for French citizenship but I don’t know the correct procedure or what are the pre-requisites or any laws that govern in India and France. But of course anything that may be part of someone’s personal experience or anything that I should be aware of is welcome :) Thanks in advance.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2006, 02:55 AM
    You won't get citizenship just by marrying a french citizen.
    You will prob get residency.

Nov 6, 2006, 06:37 AM
    Yes I know that. I plan to have a dual citizenship anyway but I just need to know the correct procedure to about things starting from step 1. I know, I know stupid question but I do have to make a start if we are to marry in the coming year.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2006, 06:59 AM
    You can't get a passport until you reside in that country for 7 years I think it is.

Nov 6, 2006, 07:39 AM
    Oh thank you! What I read was that after a year of marriage I can apply for citizenship (dunno if that is first class or not). I have some business plans (and college plans)in Paris so I will have to obtain a license with my partners who are French. I just wanted to make sure about the formalities in both countries.

The Foreign Indian Marriage Act Act XLIII of 1954 will come into force here as I will not have obtained a French citizenship so my fiancé will have to have a registered marriage in the Indian court because he can't stay in India for 180 days as required by law here. Also we will have to register in France which is a procedure unknown to me. A person can acquire French citizenship by naturalisation after 5 years of stay. This will also help me to secure the future of my children who will automatically obtain the citizenship but I would like them to hold a dual citizenship too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Travel between us and france [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! Does anyone know the law on a french citizen visiting the us (for 3 months) then returning to France. How long before he can return to the US? And what is the best option for him to be able to travel freely to both countries? Is it a visa and how does one go about obtaining one... ...

France [ 1 Answers ]

The number of republics France has had?

France-US citizenship [ 3 Answers ]

I am a French citizen living in the US . I have been here since I was 6yrs old.Iam married to a US citizen and work as a master plumber here. Iam trying to get info on how to get dual citizensip with the US and France

Retirement to France Enquiry [ 3 Answers ]

I hope this is the right board on which to post this question. I have also posted it under 'Travel". I am a US veteran with a disability rating of 100%, & have decided to move to Paris France. My disabilities, while major, do not limit my mobility or yet require use of wheelchair or other help to...

View more questions Search