Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    homeowner6 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2009, 02:01 PM
    Hydronic floor heating
    My heating system is oil hot water, radiators. I'm remodeling a bath, can I take out the radiator and connect the feed and return to pex tubing running under the floor?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 23, 2009, 04:50 PM
    Probably not. The operating water temperature for in floor heat is lower than the water temp for a radiator.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2009, 06:06 PM
    I think you mean to just cut the radiator out of the circuit, and connect the two ends together, is that correct? If so, then yes you can. You aren't switching to another loop, just eliminating the radiator. Have I got that right?

Oct 26, 2009, 07:51 AM
    Dear Missouri Bound

Your correct, I want to just remove the one radiator and connect the two ends of the floor tubing to the corresponding ends of the radiator feeds.

And I think PEX Alumium is one of the approved tubing types Warmboard uses.

Thanks

Oct 26, 2009, 09:04 AM
    Pex designed for your usage will work but I need to remind you once again that the water temperature your system operates at is the main problem. I would hate to see you jump through all the hoops installing the in floor/under floor heat only to have your floor tile pop or having the floor to hot to stand on situation that has happened to many people come to pass on your install. Please read up on the style of heat you are proposing to install to get the acceptable hot water temperature limits then see what temperature your boiler operates at before making your final decission. In most cases you cannot lower the boiler temperature since the rest of the radiation in the home was calculated for the heat the boiler operates at. If you lower the temperature of the boiler so the in floor heat works OK then the rest of the house will be cold. There are water heat exchangers you can use to lower the water temperature without having to turn the boiled down to solve this problem..

Warmboard is good stuff being precut for the tube so the install is easier so that part will not be a problem but the water temperature will. Good luck with your project.

Oct 26, 2009, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it.
    A thought,
    Would the use of a flow restricture valve, similar to what's on a radiator, solve the problem?

Oct 26, 2009, 10:54 AM
    No a flow restrictor just restricts flow not temperature. Now it will change the temperature in a room due to the heat loss of the radiation type or style. I only mentioned this since I have seen exactly what you propose to due and it failed due to exactly what I mentioned that the boiler operating temperature was to high. No you could always try it or check around and get different opinions. Just make sure you get your opinions from a professional who has experienced what you are trying to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hydronic heating dripping water from overflow pipe [ 11 Answers ]

Thanks everyone for the help hooking up the circulator pumps: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heating-air-conditioning/how-do-turn-heat-401723.html The boiler and the pumps are all working nicely. All zones work, and everything turns on and off as it should. But now that everything is working,...

Knocking pipes when newer hydronic heating system on [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 4 year old townhouse that has a hydronic/radiant floor heating system. A tankless water heater is the heating source for both the hydronic system and our regular household hot water. Whenever any of the thermostats are turned on in the house (which turns on the hydronic heating system)...

Bleeding Hydronic Baseboard heating system [ 2 Answers ]

I have just moved into an old house in New Jersey and the house has two separate heating zones: one thermostat upstairs and one thermostat downstairs. The upstairs thermostat is currently inoperative, so a PSE&G technician circumvented the problem, and now both upstairs and downstairs are being...

Hydronic heating pipe size [ 4 Answers ]

I wish to install a hydronic kick plate heater but it only has 1/2" inlet & outlets the zone has 3/4"pipe should I put in a bypass around the heater to keep the flow the same?

Hydronic heating system [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a licensed electrician that's been asked to hook up a 4 zone hydronic heating system which I have never worked with before. It's a mighty therm boiler model HH-PH, using RIB2041D relays 24 volt thermostat and a side wall vent. I've got all the 120 volt hook-up done and the relays hooked in...

View more questions Search