Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Spranza Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2009, 02:01 AM
    I Can NOT format
    Hi everybody

I am facing a very frustrating problem in my laptop. I have Sony Vaio VGN-S58GP laptop and I want to format it using my 2 Recovery DVDs BUT :( my DVD drive isn't working. It can't read any DVDs or even CDs... I really need to format my laptop but I can't find any other ways to do that unless if I boot from the Recovey DVDs. How can I do that :confused::confused::confused: any ideas PLEASE :(

By the way I have an external DVD LG Drive and I entered stup by pressing F2 while booting and I have these boot potions:

Optical Drive
    Folppy Disk Drive
    -Hard Disk Drive
    HTS541080G9SA00
    Network

And whenever I press Enter on one of them nothing happenes..!
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Oct 23, 2009, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Spranza View Post
    whenever I press Enter on one of them nothing happenes..
    How is the external DVD drive connected? If it is connected via USB or Firewire, those options are not listed in the F2 boot menu. I wasn't able to find a manual or BIOS information on Sony's Asian support website concerning this laptop model, so I can't tell you exactly what you will need to do, but generally the boot order and available boot devices are configured in BIOS setup. It wasn't clear from your post whether F2 gets you into BIOS setup, or just presents alternate boot devices during boot. If selecting the "optical drive" entry during boot will not allow boot from the external drive, you will need to enter BIOS setup and add to the available boot device list the interface (USB, etc.) for how the external drive is connected. There may also be an option for whether booting from removable media is allowed, which would also need to be enabled. Also, if this option exists and is currently disabled, enable it and try the "optical drive" boot device again.

Alternatively, you could get the internal DVD drive replaced or repaired first, and then proceed with recovery.

Oct 23, 2009, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros View Post
    How is the external DVD drive connected? If it is connected via USB or Firewire, those options are not listed in the F2 boot menu
    Its connected via USB

It wasn't clear from your post whether F2 gets you into BIOS setup, or just presents alternate boot devices during boot.
    It's the BIOS setup
    , you will need to enter BIOS setup and add to the available boot device list the interface (USB, etc.) for how the external drive is connected.
    Can you please tell me how can I do this? I am a newb in computer stuff..
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Oct 23, 2009, 01:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Spranza View Post
    Can you please tell me how can I do this?
    Like I said before I couldn't find specific info on that laptop model on Sony's website in order to tell you exactly what needed to be done. If you can get into the BIOS setup with F2, without changing anything just look around for the storage section or boot order settings. Usually there is a list for all available boot devices. Individual devices can be enabled or disabled and their order changed in the list. Hopefully there will be a USB option that can be enabled. Contact Sony support if necessary; they should be able to walk you through it.

Oct 23, 2009, 01:43 PM

Thanks a lot. I'll contact Sony about this :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Format a CD/RW [ 1 Answers ]

How can I format a rewriteable cd

DVD format [ 1 Answers ]

I have a DVD row in my computer but when I put a DVD row into it with the format .flv and it won't play and also I have try to change the format but it won't work either.

Rm format to mp3 format [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all::) Please tell me:how can I convert RealOnePlayer file (rm file) to mp3 file?which software? Is quiktime good?? and how?(please don't advice downloading software -because I don't want to infect my mp3 player! ) Thanks in advance

Format? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way in MS Word to merge several different articles & have them all the same length? Instead of: This is just an example! This is just an example!

Format [ 6 Answers ]

Please give me advise, how can I format hardisk. Is there a website offering a free tool for formatting disk. Thank you!

View more questions Search