Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2009, 03:50 AM
    Pet Food/Product Recalls
    KUXJ alerted me to the latest update of pet food recalls, so I thought a sticky was in order as recalls are quite a common issue.

The site below details past and present recalls.
    Products can be recalled for a variety of reasons from a major issue with ingredients to simply a 'bad batch' and it should not reflect on your choice of brand.

If you know of any other product recalls please post them here and provide a link to the site where you found it.

Pet Food Recall Products List
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 22, 2009, 05:59 AM
    Thank you for the heads up... One of my dogs (lab/aussie) has been sick lately... I thought it was just the flu. Will have to check up to see if we are buying one of these foods. Blue Buffalo is on the list and we used to buy it.

I'm just hoping Mick will return to herself here shortly with a little tender loving care.
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2009, 09:28 AM

I hope he feels better soon J_9.
    Is Mick the one who had the skin problem? (sorry bad memory)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 22, 2009, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Is Mick the one who had the skin problem? (sorry bad memory)
    Nope, that was Xander. He's doing somewhat better now since he has to wear a funny funnel hat for the time being.
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2009, 08:43 PM

Aww poor thing, it's for his own good though. Glad to hear he is improving a bit.
    Ingridone Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2009, 12:21 PM
    FDA Confirms Probe of NUTRO Pet Food Deaths, Illnesses
    Menu Foods earlier revealed it was the target of a federal probe

By Lisa Wade McCormick
    ConsumerAffairs.com
    Copyright 2009 © All Rights Reserved

April 20, 2009
    The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has confirmed that the agency is investigating NUTRO pet food, following a series of unexplained illnesses and deaths. Consumers have been complaining for more than two years that their pets have become ill after eating NUTRO products; many have recovered when they were switched to other foods. The company has steadfastly denied that its food is to blame.:eek:

Until now, the FDA has been mum about whether it was actively investigating the company. Today, the FDA’s Division of Freedom of Information confirmed the agency has an ongoing investigation into NUTRO — and said that investigation could be criminal or civil in nature. The office did not elaborate on the nature or focus of that investigation.

The investigation came to light when the FDA denied a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request by ConsumerAffairs.com seeking a list of complaints and lab results the agency has collected regarding NUTRO pet food. The agency denied the request and said that releasing the information could hamper “prospective or ongoing” action by law enforcement.

“The document(s) constitute record(s) compiled for law enforcement purposes, the disclosure of which could reasonably be expected to interfere with enforcement proceedings,” wrote the FDA’s George A. Strait, Jr. assistant commissioner for public affairs.

:mad:

Read more: FDA Confirms Probe of NUTRO Pet Food Deaths, Illnesses
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2009, 10:47 PM

Thank you for that Ingridone
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Nov 2, 2009, 07:42 PM
    Shaz, received 3hours ago.

I know it doesn't pertain to Pet food, but does concern both our canine, and feline companions

If you feel it belongs elsewhere, please do not hesitate to move... k

CVM Updates - FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine Alerts Veterinarians About Problems with Vetsulin® to Treat Diabetes in Dogs and Cats
    Listed at the top, November - December

2009 CVM Updates
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2009, 08:00 PM

Thank you KUXJ, very helpful, I will see if I can get the thread title changed to include products/drugs as well ;)

Nov 2, 2009, 08:39 PM
    I hope you can, It would be helpful to have a central repository.

Nov 5, 2009, 04:06 PM
    PetSmart Voluntarily Recalls Dentley's Beef Hooves

Nov 6, 2009, 08:40 AM
    PetSmart Voluntarily Recalls Dentley's Beef Hooves

Edit; Update from FDA
    FDA Health Alert for Certain Pet Treats Made by Pet Carousel now includes pig ear treats:
    FDA Health Alert for Certain Pet Treats Made by Pet Carousel

Nov 13, 2009, 05:18 PM
    Main storyline, FDA's regulation of pet food, pet food labeling, and pet food safety:
    Animal & Veterinary
    Luv_a_bull098 Posts: 89, Reputation: 6

Nov 14, 2009, 11:50 PM

I found a website that might help a lot of you guys determine what types of food are good for your dogs. You'll be surprised which dogs foods are considered bad. I sure was!
    Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble *copy and paste*

This site has actual researchers on it instead of peoples different opinions. You'll find a lot of the foods that are recalled continuously are actually pretty bad for your dog in the first place.

Nov 16, 2009, 07:28 PM
    Anyone have pet sheep?
    FDA Announces the Approval of a New Product for the Management of Reproduction in Sheep

Nov 20, 2009, 09:35 AM
    Keep The Worms Out Of Your Pet’s Heart!
    The Facts About Heartworm Disease
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2009, 05:53 PM

That last one is very interesting KUXJ, I haven't personally known anyone who's animal has contracted heartworm so it's always good to brush up on my worms facts :D

We are pretty lucky where I live, we don't have a lot of the problems mainland Australia does, the biggest phew factor is our lack of the hidatus tapeworm (a lot nastier than regular tapeworms)

Nov 24, 2009, 09:02 AM
    Animal Health Literacy:
    Medications for Your Pet ... Questions for Your Vet

Has Printer-friendly PDF (10 KB) that you can take with you when you visit the Vet.

Jan 28, 2010, 12:00 PM
    For anyone who has a canine.

fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/RiskMAP assessment on the continued use of ProHeart® 6

Do a Google search on the pros, and cons of the use of Proheart6 for heartworm in canines.

From what I've read, there are safer alternatives. Judge for yourself.

K

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Food invention (registration of a food product?) [ 12 Answers ]

I have thought up a good idea for a new food product and would like to offer it to a company, but to do that (I was informed by my dad) I need proof that this idea is mine so no one can steal it and such, registration of a food product? I need to know how to go on to this. A website perhaps? Please...

View more questions Search