Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PatsyCat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2009, 07:06 PM
    Snaked floor drain, but no luck!
    Hello,
    The floor drain in the basement of my 1960's split is overflowing from the dishwasher and kitchen sink. I've snaked the floor drain using a 25 ft drill powered auger. Got to the end of the snake, all 25 ft, and never felt like I hit a clog. I tried this a couple of times, but the drain is still overflowing. What should I do next?

Call the plumber?

Should I snake from the stack? I'm sort of hesitant to do this because what I think is the stack is located behind the basement shower, accessible by a little door in the wall. I'm not sure if I have enough room to get a wrench in there to remove the cap. And it doesn't look like stacks I'm used to! Instead of having the cap on a diagonal branch, there's just a cap sitting horizontally on a 3 ft high stub, if that makes any sense.

Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 07:17 PM

I see two choices, get a longer sewer rodder not just a little homeowner snake, get a real sewer rodder from a rental outfit. Other option is rod the stack from the roof but you'll still need that bigger rodder.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 22, 2009, 04:59 AM
    Follow Bobs advice and rent a sewer machine. Your clog's downstream from the floor drain on the kitchen/laundry drain line. This can be snaked from one of two places if there's no clean out tee available. Either the kitchen or the washer roof vent.
    Put out enough snake to reach the base and 20 feet more. Good luck, To,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why would the drain below the washer leak after being snaked [ 1 Answers ]

Water leaks from the overflow drain (below the washer). My laundry facilities are on the second story of my home. The drain below the washer has been snaked, the drain to where the washer drains into snaked, and the shower in the next room, which connects, snaked as well. The outside vent has been...

Sink that won't drain even though it's been snaked clear. [ 1 Answers ]

Our kitchen sink would not drain after using the garbage disposal to grind potato & carrot peels. We assumed it was clogged. My husband tried the plunger, took off the trap and cleaned it, used a 25 ft snake from the pipe under the sink through the trap in the basement, took off the trap in the...

Kitchen drain will not run. I snaked it 25 ft. [ 9 Answers ]

I ran a snake about 25 ft. did not find a clogg. The only vent on the roof is over the up stairs bath .all the rest of the drains thew out the house run normally

2nd Floor, Floor drain backing up with water in restroom [ 1 Answers ]

I have a second floor restroom at my workplace and there is a little bit of water backing up and some sewer gas smell. There is rarely anything that goes down that drain but there is a little water in it that I can see. Also it seems that the urinals in the same restroom are draining very slowly....

Raising a floor drain in concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old concrete floor with a newer pvc type drain. The floor slopes about 1.5" over 2' around the drain so I would like to raise the drain in order to level the floor to install ceramic tiles. I'm still going to ensure the floor slopes toward the drain just enough. I figure I need to...

View more questions Search