Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DanT Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2009, 06:51 PM
    Insulation of water pipes ran in attic
    I just had a plumbing company rerun the plumbing in my house and the failed to use safety nail strips as well as put no insulation tubing around the pipes in the attic, What are your suggestions as I feel like I should be taking them to court. Thanks DanT:eek:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 06:54 PM

Did they pull a permit and did an inspector actuallly inspect? Where do you live, what State. All good questions for us to consider before you consider what to do.

Oct 21, 2009, 06:58 PM
    Yes they said they did didn't really get to see the inspector inspect and I live in Winter Park Florida always hot water coming out of cold supply. It is not reveresed but also has know insulation on the pipes in attic.:confused:

Oct 21, 2009, 07:20 PM

Call the inspector and ask to0 see his inspection. If he did not really inspect demand that he does. You will need to prove the plumber did not follow code. If the inspector says they followed code you are sunk. Speedball1 is our plumber down in Florida and he may stop by, I am not so sure insulation is required by code, did you require it in your written agreement or something?

Oct 21, 2009, 07:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Call the inspector and ask to0 see his inspection. If he did not really inspect demand that he does. You will need to prove the plumber did not follow code. if the inspector says they followed code you are sunk. Speedball1 is our plumber down in Florida and he may stop by, I am not so sure insulation is required by code, did you require it in your written agreement or something?
    No I just thought it would be obvious to do. I am an engineer and didn't get it in writing so I am sunk.

Oct 21, 2009, 07:35 PM

There are many things folks assume should be done but plumbers are only required to follow plumbing codes, they are the laws about what is allowed and not allowed. In the north we use insulation to do the opposite of what you do, we keep the cold out. Insulkating a cold water pipe in an attic will not assure you of cold water immediately coming from you tap. In the north we run our hot tap for about a minute before we get hot water. probably much like you do. If you expect cold water to arrive any faster than the hot water you are mistaken, insulation would not do it.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 22, 2009, 01:31 AM

DanT, not so fast ! Why to sue ? For what ? For not putting in few pipe straps ? Gee... do you ever make a mistake as an engineer ? Like punching a wrong number on your calculator ? How about if you would get sued over it ?

First, not insulating pipes in not against the Code ( at least in my area ). It is optional. We do not insulate pipes automatically. Why ? Because it is extra expense. Read your contract. If it calls for pipe insulation than call the plumber back and ask him to comply with the contract. If you didn't require any contract then it is not plumber's fault. It is miscomunication on your part. Second, inspectors do not inspect every piece of pipe. They get general idea about the job by looking at few details. If you call him back to reinspect than you will challenge his work performance. I would not be surprised if he took a closer look around your house while reinspecting and red-tagged your house for other, not plumbing related, Code violations. Third: call the plumber back, tell him he forgot to put in pipe straps, he'll send back his helper to install them and all will be solved in 10 minutes. That's all it takes. And in the end, there is no strain on our justice system with "missing pipe strap lawsuit" and you will be happy customer.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 22, 2009, 04:50 AM
    I live in Winter Park Florida always hot water coming out of cold supply
    Greetings from Sarasota.
    Unless your contract calls for insulating your pipes the plumber did the installation correctly. You must not have lived in Florida very long if you think your cold water should be cold in the summertime. This isn't like up North where the pipes are buried deep beneath the frost line. Here our pipes are close to the surface where they pick up the ambient temperature. In the attic with it's 100 degree plus temperature in the summer season it's even worse. Ya want cold water out of yo pipes? Just wait until winter time. Until then this is part of Florida living right along with hurricanes and palmetto bugs as big as a school bus.
    If you wish you can purchase Armoflex Pipe Insulation, (see image) and insulate the pipes in your attic. However, setting up there in all that summertime heat I doubt you're going to see much difference.
    You're going to have the same complaint in the winter time about your hot water lines. Good luck and en joy Florida. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Attic insulation [ 2 Answers ]

I want to add additional blown in insulation to my attic. There may be 2-3" currently. I wanted to staple in baffles to prevent the insulation from filling the soffits as well as allowing airflow, however, the roof is very low and it looks impossible to get to the eaves to install a baffle or any...

Foam insulation - do it yourself? Pros? Cons? Safe for hot water pipes and wiring? [ 2 Answers ]

A while back I watched a show called "Off the Grid" with Les Stroud. He renovated an old house in the woods, and one of the upgrades was full insulation using spray foam. It seemed very like an easy thing to apply, and it fit every nook and cranny. * Is that something I can apply myself? * What...

Attic Insulation [ 3 Answers ]

I have a walk out attic over my garage. I was able to install myself r13 batts of over the 3rd car garage area as the studs fit the insulation perfect for what I installed in the walls of the garage. I had extra so used it up. The only section left to insulate is the 2 car part, but am not sure...

New A/C water leaking from unit in attic not from pipes [ 10 Answers ]

We have a new heat and A/C unit in the attic. Had it put in last fall. Turned the air conditioning on and after about 30 or 40 min. water starts leaking through the ceiling onto the floor below. The water is coming from the empty box like thing that is next to the evaporator (I hope I have that...

Location of water pipes in attic [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to locate the water pipes in my attic. I went up and moved insulation around by where the water heater pipe should come up but no pipes. How do I find them? Thanks

View more questions Search