Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    producefilm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2009, 01:14 PM
    Need to select the correct PSYCHOLOGIST Immediately !
    Hi. I am a 24 male searching for a psychologist from a long list provided by my insurance company and am having a difficult time selecting one. My current situation is I'm facing 4 months in county jail time, which is making me have anxiety. I have fallen into a depression. Also I believe I might struggle with substance abuse. I was recently violated on Probation for two "dirty test", which I think the court will add onto my 4 months. There are also things in my childhood I have never spoke of.

I know that is a lot of stuff on my plate, but I'm not sure which "key words"/Area of Experience to select from on my provider list. And is it crucial for them to be Board Certified?

THESE ARE EXAMPLES OF AREA OF EXPERIENCE: ADD/ADHD, Anxiety and Panic Disorders, Autism/PDD/Asperger's, Bariatric Surgery, Behavior Modification, Bipolar, Chemical Dependency, Chemical Dependency Assessment, Depressive Disorders, Eating Disorders, Medication Management, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Personality Disorders, Postpartum Issues, Schizophrenia/Schizoaffective Disorder, Sexual Abuse
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 01:38 PM

It really depends on what you wish to accomplish. Most psychologists/clinical therapists can easily handle whatever you bring to the table. Just because one has a specialty does not mean they are not capable. If you wished to get one with a specialty, sounds like depressive disorders is up your alley.

And remember... if you believe you need medication, you are going to need a psychiatrist, not a psychologist.

Edited to add: my opinion is that yes, it is crucial that they are board certified.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to see a psychologist/therapist? [ 14 Answers ]

You may think I'm a worthless human being after reading this, maybe I am. I don't like that I am this way, but it's been how I have been for the longest time. I've told a few other people about these things, but they say "boo hoo, the whole teased at school routine, get over it" I may get that...

Water well pump turns on immediately [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a new jet pump with a pressure switch which I do not know its ratings. I hooked it all up. It has a brand new flotec pressure tank. When you turn on the water inside the pump kicks on. THere appears to not be any water in the tank. It is a high pitch sound. At the beginning the...

How to become a psychologist? [ 4 Answers ]

Can I go to college with a GED to become a psychologist? Does anyone have any good information for me on how to approach it and go from there.

Is there an online psychologist? [ 5 Answers ]

I need help because I don't like life and I have thoughts of dying. Im a shy person face to face. The only way I will ever get help is if I talk to someone online. Someone please help. Thanks ahead of time.

Need help immediately [ 1 Answers ]

Unless otherwise noted ignore air resistance and friction and use g=9.8m/s2. Assume mass of the baseball is 0.145kg. A baseball is hit with a velocity of 35m/s at a angle of 35 degrees above horizontal. (a) What is the horizontal component of the initial velocity? (b) What is the vertical...

View more questions Search