Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    achoman92 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2009, 12:13 PM
    Internet connected but no Internet
    We have had this wireless internet for about a year now with now problems. Two of our laptops are still working fine when loading the Internet however mine now doesn't with "Website found. Waiting for reply" appearing ont the screen. I've checked the Internet connections and it says that it is connected with a strong signal strength but the Internet still doesn't work.

Any help or advice would be much apprecitated.

Cheers
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 12:26 PM

Is the brobser Firefox by chance? Se if File/work offline has a check mark next to it. Remove it.

You can also try to go to the CMD prompt and type IPconfig /renew
    pickandgrin Posts: 19, Reputation: 6

Oct 21, 2009, 12:33 PM
    Without more detail about your OS it’s difficult answer specifically. But the fact that two other laptops are working fine indicates that your network is fine and the problem is with the configuration of the 3rd machine.

It could be a number of things but the first thing I would check would be to make sure that your NIC is setup for DHCP and not hard coded with an IP address. Also, make sure that any firewall software you may be running is not blocking your traffic.
    achoman92 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2009, 12:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pickandgrin View Post
    Without more detail about your OS it’s difficult answer specifically. But the fact that two other laptops are working fine indicates that your network is fine and the problem is with the configuration of the 3rd machine.

It could be a number of things but the first thing I would check would be to make sure that your NIC is setup for DHCP and not hard coded with an IP address. Also, make sure that any firewall software you may be running is not blocking your traffic.
    And how would you do the thing regarding the NIC and DHCP?
    Cheers
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 12:54 PM

ipconfig /all from the command prompt.

Oct 21, 2009, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by achoman92 View Post
    And how would you do the thing regarding the NIC and DHCP?
    Cheers
    Without knowing the OS, I can’t give specifics.

Generally in Windows…

• Make sure you have Admin privileges
    • Go to the control panel under Network Settings
    • Select the Local Area Connection (for your NIC)
    • Choose TCP/IP in the properties
    • And look for a setting that assigns the IP address automatically
    • If you’re on an older version of Windows, you may have to reboot.

If you’re using someone else’s machine, you should understand why it was set up with a hard coded IP address in the first place. Further you should record the address, subnet mask and default gateway settings so that you can put it back the way it was if you need to.

Oct 21, 2009, 01:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    ipconfig /all from the command prompt.
    KISS I like your sig:D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am connected to my router but not the internet [ 6 Answers ]

help! I had to format my hard drive and reinstall windows xp. I only had a sp1 cd, I am currently trying to get sp2 to install. I have reinstalled the drivers for my acer travelmate 2420 my wireless network adapter is atheros ar5005g wireless network adapter I also have a realtek...

Connected computers can't access internet. [ 14 Answers ]

Had Netgear wgt 624 network with 3 computers working, but had to reinstall XP on the server and the connected computers stopped connecting. The server still connects through the router. Their connection wizards show a strong signal received from the router, but attempts to connect to the internet...

Connected to wireless router but no internet [ 2 Answers ]

I am running windows XP home on my notebook. My wife's desktop is connected through the router via and eithernet cable. I can see and connect to the router, but cannot get internet. I keep getting the work offline screen. Please Help. Michael

Sometimes I can't get connect to the internet even though I'm connected? [ 2 Answers ]

I have two connection questions for two different wireless connections. I have a couple of internet connections I use and but sometimes I connect to one and it shows me connected but the packets are not receiving? They are sent but not receiving. I believe that is the problem with that...

PC reboots while connected to the internet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, Just wondering if you can help me. I notice you have several questions regarding PC's spontaneously rebooting for no apparent reason. My PC also does this but only when I am connected to the internet. It can occur any time after connection - 10 minutes or an hour but generally...

View more questions Search