Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Indiana Drew Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2009, 12:08 PM
    Who Painted This Clown?
    I am looking for the name of the artist who painted this clown. It was done in the 1950 I believe.
    Attached Images

Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 12:09 PM

Can you get a close up of the signature?

Oct 21, 2009, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Can you get a close up of the signature?
    This is the best I can do for now - I don't have the painting with me...
    Attached Images

Pets Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 12:38 PM

Darn. That's a bit too fuzzy.

When you get a chance to see the painting again see if you can get a clear shot of the signature, or try and decipher the initials.

Also, do you know if there's any writing on the back of the canvas? Many artists will sign the back and date it. Also, if it was sold at an art gallery it may have a lot number which would make it easier to track down.

There are too many clown pictures to go through without having a bit of a hint on where to start looking. ;)

Oct 21, 2009, 12:43 PM
    Darn. That's a bit too fuzzy.

When you get a chance to see the painting again see if you can get a clear shot of the signature, or try and decipher the initials.

Also, do you know if there's any writing on the back of the canvas? Many artists will sign the back and date it. Also, if it was sold at an art gallery it may have a lot number which would make it easier to track down.

There are too many clown pictures to go through without having a bit of a hint on where to start looking. ;)
    I will have a chance over the weekend - an art "expert" could not read it... It was sold in the 1950s or early 1960s so, no luck on the gallery end... Most of the pieces in the collection are from the late 19th century and early 20th... I assume it is a French painter, but am not even sure of that... Thanks for the help...
    Pets Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Drew View Post
    I will have a chance over the weekend - an art "expert" could not read it ... It was sold in the 1950s or early 1960s so, no luck on the gallery end ... Most of the pieces in the collection are from the late 19th century and early 20th ... I assume it is a French painter, but am not even sure of that ... Thanks for the help ...
    The reason I'm so interested is that my father painted a clown very similar in style and color back when I was a baby. It was a copy from a postcard he had.

It would be interesting to know if it's the same painted because I remember him telling me that the original artist sold most of his pieces in the 50's and he mainly did clowns.

Sadly I can't remember the name of the artist. I was only 6 when he told me this, my memory isn't what it used to be.

I'll look around the web, see if I can find anything, but still, it would be easier with more info. :)

Oct 21, 2009, 03:46 PM
    The reason I'm so interested is that my father painted a clown very similar in style and color back when I was a baby. It was a copy from a postcard he had.

It would be interesting to know if it's the same painted because I remember him telling me that the original artist sold most of his pieces in the 50's and he mainly did clowns.

Sadly I can't remember the name of the artist. I was only 6 when he told me this, my memory isn't what it used to be.

I'll look around the web, see if I can find anything, but still, it would be easier with more info. :)
    I'm going to have a look at the piece over the weekend, so maybe there will be more information... Thanks!

Oct 23, 2009, 08:24 AM

CATTON is the name - there are two references on ArtPrice of a "CATTON" and the subjects are clowns. There is however no image that I can find. I peeled the paper crom the back and found this painter

"Auguste a la chambriere"
    par CATTON

translation

"Augustus was the chambermaid"
    by CATTON

The price on the edge written in english was $250...

So there you have it... Not a lot of info...
    martagon1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 3

Nov 10, 2009, 11:57 AM
    This painting is from Pierre Catton who lived very near Martel (Lot) in France, exactly in Loupchat where he is buried. I have the same type of painting and I recognize easily the signature. There is a booklet on him: Pierre Catton by Raymond de Cazenave
    Edited by "Formes et Style" in 1961. He was still living in 1961 (dedicace on my booklet).

Nov 11, 2009, 12:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by martagon1 View Post
    This painting is from Pierre Catton who lived very near Martel (Lot) in France, exactly in Loupchat where he is burried. I have the same type of painting and I recognize easily the signature. There is a booklet on him: Pierre Catton by Raymond de Cazenave
    edited by "Formes et Style" in 1961. He was still living in 1961 (dedicace on my booklet).
    Than you so much for your confirmation. I just saw an ad for one of his landscapes for sale in France.

At this gallery: Galerie Philippe KOZAK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for book/story about introvert clown, fire escape, mardi gras? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for the title and author of a book my parents remember reading decades ago. Near as I can tell, this is the story of a shy, shut-in sort of guy who rents (or lives in) a room near Mardi Gras, Carnival, a New Year's Eve party, or some other huge celebratory event in the streets. He...

Ozz Franca big-eyed clown paintings [ 1 Answers ]

I bought 4 Ozz Franca big-eyed clown paintings at a yard sale last summer. I am trying to find out if they are legitimate or not. I have already contacted his gallery and sent a picture of them. His daughter, Lauren, seems to believe they are, but can't be 100% sure by a picture. I'm unsure how...

Victor Trujillo (Brozo Clown) mail address [ 1 Answers ]

I will appreciate if you can give me Victor´s Trujillo mail address. Victor Trujillo the mexican show man better known as Brozo the Clown. Thank you.

View more questions Search