Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amirabal Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2009, 12:01 PM
    Patients Medical Records
    We have a doctors office that is refusing to give patients their medical records what are their rights and what can they do to get them released over to the patient?
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Oct 21, 2009, 12:22 PM

Who's "We"?

Are you trying to secure medical records that are not your own? To have records, the patient must sign for them and present a photo ID.

Oct 21, 2009, 03:55 PM
    Our Doctors have branched out and started a practice of their own, and patients are trying to get their records to continue following our doctors and the patients Go to the old office and try to obtain them with record release form they are present and have a photo ID with them and they are refusing to give the patients their medical records.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 03:55 PM
    They may have to have the medical records faxed or mailed from the old doctor to the new.

Oct 21, 2009, 03:58 PM

But the patient have the right to obtain their medical records if they are present and have a photo Id
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 22, 2009, 05:50 AM
    Not all doctors or facilities have that policy due to the sensitive nature of medical records.

Oct 22, 2009, 11:12 AM
    Hipaa has told me that the records are the patients records and as long as the patients is present with their photo id they should be released to the patient possible with a fee to copy the medical records, but they are not allowed to withhold medical records from that patients if all required documents have been given.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Oct 28, 2009, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amirabal View Post
    Hipaa has told me that the records are the patients records and as long as the patients is present with their photo id they should be released to the patient possible with a fee to copy the medical records, but they are not allowed to withhold medical records from that patients if all required documents have been given.
    Legally, patients medical information is their property, but the paper its printed on is the doctors property. As silly as it sounds, all that means is doctors can legally charge a small fee for printing, but they cannot withhold the information. There are some minor exceptions, particularly regarding mental illnesses, for example.

Its possible that some of your patients are not willing to pay a fee.

I would suggest contacting the office for your patients to obtain their records - they cannot charge your office to send that information. In fact, it would be better customer service if you provided that service yourself. I have never been asked to get my own records for another doctor - they always make the request themselves.

I work in a medical office and we obtain those records without involving our patients.

If your patients want their own records to keep, from that other physician, they should deal with them exclusively. If your physician needs those records, you can get them without involving the patient.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stolen Medical Records [ 1 Answers ]

I am going through a nasty divorce and custody battle. My husband has make several false claims about me during our divorce and has went as far as stalking to obtain information to use against me in Court. Recently our conversation became heated after he refused to pick our son up from preschool at...

Mailing medical records [ 4 Answers ]

I recently left a message at my physicians office requesting results from my recent labwork I had done. I later found out that my Actual Medical Records were mailed out to me, but I did not get them because they were sent to the wrong address. I didn't think that they were even allowed to mail out...

Medical Records forgery [ 1 Answers ]

I worked for a medical practice in medical records and the physician would require us to alter records to prevent any legal action against him. What avenue can I pursue to turn him in for this?

Re medical Records request [ 10 Answers ]

This is complicated and I'm not sure the best way to proceed. My old roommate had Surgery at a LI hospital in about 1995 or 1996. She never got her records or Pathology. She moved back to the caribbean island she came from. She ended up With surgery but they mis-diagnosed her. She has no...

Medical records [ 1 Answers ]

Does HIPPA affect the person to have access to their medical records?

View more questions Search