Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 11:34 AM
    My boss is sexist
    I've been working at my job for over a year now. It is a locally owned fast-food franchise. During my orientation I was told that I could not work in the kitchen because I'm a woman, and only men are allowed to because they're stronger. (mind you, I just quit my job at McDonalds, where working the fryers was my specialty) My boss also does not appoint women as managers. One woman who had been working there for years was very determined to get a manager job- when my boss agreed to train her he trained her for almost a year, and then gave the manager position to a man he recently hired. Needless to say, the woman quit.
    Women are allowed the "shift leader" position- which means they are trained on how to manage the shift (incase a man isn't available,) but because the women are not allowed to be managers, only "shift leaders," they do not get salary pay, and do not get free food, or as many perks as the men who manage. My boss has 2 daughters who are employed here and will not even promote them as managers.
    My boss doesn't give out raises very easily either. If minimum wage goes up, he will tell us that counts as our "raise." As I said, I've been working there for over a year, and have had one 25 cent raise.
    I would like to work in the kitchen and move forward in my job there, but I was told to not even bother because I'm a woman. Should I do something about this? My boss is very sexist. Even if I did take it to court, he would say that his treatment of women is because of his religion. So, should I do anything?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 11:40 AM

Why are you still working there?
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 11:43 AM

I need to keep it as a backup job, and I need some income. Right now I work at a university, and I work there on the weekends. I also like my co-workers.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 11:56 AM

Proving he's sexist is going to be tough. You're going to spend a lot of money taking this to court and the outcome probably won't be in your favor.

Is it worth your time and trouble?

Do you plan on making this a career or is this just a temporary job to help pay the bills?

If it's the latter, then why bother going through all of this?

It's not fair, but that's life.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 11:57 AM

Proving a sexual discrimination case is a long and arduous process and there is no guarantee of the outcome.
    I think it is just one of those unfair workplace situations that you have to deal with or simply move on to a job where this isn't the norm.
    It happens all the time.Sad to say.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 12:00 PM

I agree, it's not fair, bu if it's only temporary, probably not worth te energy to start a lawsuit. Do you have an HR department though? If so, I'd call and make a complaint there. Or if there's someone above him you can complain to. If it's just you complaining, they probably won't do anything. But who knows how many others before you have complained or how many others will.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How get along well with your immediate boss [ 4 Answers ]

I majored in International Economy and Trade. I graduated 2007. After two job-hopping, I entered the company I am in now. I am an exporting stuff, whose job is exporting stuff. I don't have too much experience about exporting business, so I sometimes made mistakes. I need to learn much. I know,...

Sexist Boyfriend [ 12 Answers ]

He thinks that a woman having the same number of partners as a man is more of a whore than he is simply because she is a woman. How do I get him to realize this is unfair, wrong, and sexist?

Why is my boss doing this? [ 8 Answers ]

I work for this family as their nanny... we have this "best family-best nanny ever" relationship. Isn't been longer, but I'm getting this strong feeling that the father likes me. I don't want to be in such position.. I love my job and want to keep it or leave it with grace and respect. But how to...

What to do? Boss loves you boss hates yeah girl? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys So I'm going out with a chick I work with I know I know not the best :) But hey. Anyway I really like this one she seems to give me what I need. Now if the boss likes you but not her. What do you do? Not much right If she gets kicked do I go with her or stay at my job? This...

Boss firing employees after boss resigns [ 1 Answers ]

Is it legal in California for a CEO to fire employees AFTER the CEO has resigned? My understanding is that the CEO can no longer hire, fire or negotiate contracts after they have tendered their resignation.

View more questions Search