Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lori61lee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2003, 07:37 PM
    Dog Urinating
    My dog is 3-1/2 years old. He is a inside dog and has been house broken. All of a sudden he has been peeing in the house. He is let out 5 to 6 times a day and some times more. I don't understand why he is doing this. Nothing has changed here. Only him. I need help!!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 15, 2003, 07:17 AM
    Dog Urinating
    The first step is a physical check up. If he has been straining and dribbling a little both inside and out, some antibiotics for his bladder infection will be a quick fix. Other problems can have other symptoms. |Be sure and let the vet know he has a urination problem.

Otherwise he could be challenging your status. He could also be responding to a female in season, maybe a mile up wind. Dogs personalities do not mature until they are about 3. He may have decided he is old enough to take over as top dog and is showing it by marking the den. Having a good pack structure reduces such problems. The dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/.

Constantly keep an eye on him when he is loose in the house, and be ready to correct him. Catching him in the act of marking calls for stronger corrections than the otherwise effective "Bad dog!". When it misbehaves, throw it on its back, and growl "Bad dog!" right in its face. Hold it down until it lifts one back leg to show submission. You can pick him up with your hands behind his front shoulders and hold him up with his back to you, keeping him far enough away to keep his head from smashing into your face, hold him until he stops struggling and relaxes. Others like the squirt bottle. Fill it with water
    And a little vinegar or lemon juice. Give it a squirt in the face as soon as
    It misbehaves. Dogs hate that.

You will not be able to leave him alone loose in the house. My favorite place for the unattended dog is a crate. Dogs are wired differently than people. People see an enclosed space as a cage, but dogs see it as a den, especially the more enclosed plastic crates. The dog may be happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving itself. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them will rest in their crates even when the door is open. The only really safe place for an unattended dog is in a crate.

Some dogs find being loose in the house stressful. Left in a crate, they are in charge of the crate. Loose in the house, they may decide they need to do something about people and noises outside the house. He could decide to claim the house by marking it.

If the dog hasn't been crated all along, start putting the crate in one of
    Its favorite sleeping spots. If you have able to trust the dog with a cushion,
    Blanket, or bed, put it in the crate. Next, put its toys in, maybe treats too.
    Feeding the dog there is a great way to convince it the crate is a good place.
    It is also a great way to maintain order with more than one dog at feeding
    Time.

You might feel better if he has good toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

Neuter him is not already. Neutering is not a cure all for behavior problems. Even dogs that were neutered at 6 months sometimes have these problems, but neutering them reduces them. It also reduces the chances of cancer in later life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dogs urinating in the house at night [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 dogs 8 yrs old that urinate in the house at Night. They have a doggie door and they use it all the Time during the day. I can never catch them urinating. I rub their noses in it after the fact. But it does no good. Please help!

Dog urinating in her sleep [ 2 Answers ]

Lately our dog has been urinating in her sleep. She is a very well trained 5 year old, and this seems to be a new problem. What could be causing her to do this?

Urinating pet [ 2 Answers ]

My 2 year old lab mix is urinating while sleeping. She does not wake up during urination. What could be the problem?

Cats urinating in new home [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I discovered my male cat urinating in my closet a few days ago... I have been watching him and checking the litter box often to see if he is going in there (which he is). My husband and I just moved into a new house that we built about 35 days ago. So, I was thinking that this is the issue. ...

View more questions Search