Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hwguy14 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2009, 10:51 PM
    Meeting girl online for first time
    I have been talking to this girl online I knew for about a year. We were best friends at first, but then it went more serious... we do like each other and know each other pretty well on the internet, I've only talked to her once on I'm on the mic though... we are going to meet with each other this Saturday, the problem is that she is meeting me with her friend and her friends boyfriend, she is reeealy pretty, and never met with someone online in real life before, which makes me extra shy and nervous, I'm a teen if that helps and she is too... and I've only been in one relationship before but that was loooong ago. Any advice to overcome my fear of being TOO shy or nervous? And advice or help on anything else?
    Many thanks.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Oct 20, 2009, 10:56 PM
    Hello H,

How old are you, please?
    hwguy14 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2009, 10:57 PM
    I am 16 and she is 16 also.

^
    we are going on 17 I might add
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Oct 20, 2009, 11:08 PM
    Hello H,

Are your parents aware of you wanting to date at such a young age?

Are your parents aware of you meeting a girl online?

Please answer.
    Thanks
    Ginny Finny Posts: 54, Reputation: 6

Oct 21, 2009, 12:46 AM
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...lk-303157.html

Only three days ago, I met up with a guy that I had met over a chat site, and I can promise you that he was as nervous as I was. But after we had started talking, I felt comfortable around him. Just act how u would normally, yeah its abit hard. But u can do it, I promise. Basically the first things I said when I was in this situation is hey, how's your day been, its great to finally meet u, u look really great today... then just talked about anything. You will be more nervous if you think about messing up, just relax and don't forget her name! Btw, the guy I met with is coming to stay with me in the christmas hols and stuff, so it went well. Good luck =D
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 12:52 AM

It seems that she is being careful bringing her friend and another male with her,perhaps you might do the same.

Bring a friend with you also.

Meet in a public place.

Stay in that public place.

Something like bowling as a group activity.

Meet half way.

Tell an adult where you are going and what time you expect to be back.

Keep your phone you.

I would be a little cautious here.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 05:49 AM

If she's bringing friends, it means she could be nervous too and making sure that she is safe and taken care of.

You should be doing the same thing. Bringing some friends along will help with your nerves and feel more secure.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 06:07 AM

At the risk of sounding redundant, I am going to say this as it is in my big brotherly ways: At the age of 16 I strongly caution you against ever meeting someone online. I would wait a few years down the line before going into the online dating scene (and yes I know the original intent of where you met wasn't to date). Just my two cents.

Be careful!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 02:10 PM

Sorry guy, I can't in good conscience advise you to put yourself in a situation that your outnumbered by strangers. Call me old fashion, but this scene is not comfortable for me, as you're to young I think to be safe.

A more equal setting would be better I think.
    Jayjay027 Posts: 153, Reputation: 31

Oct 21, 2009, 02:41 PM

Talaniman, I wanted to give u some rep, but wasn't able to. Apparently I give you rep too often lol.

But I basically agree with everything you said here.

Take some friends with you, this girl is doing the right thing by not going alone, please do the same thing. Plus, you'll find you'll be more comfortable with some of your own friends with you. Might make you losen up a little.
    Ginny Finny Posts: 54, Reputation: 6

Oct 23, 2009, 01:39 AM

When I met up with my guy, neither of us were alone and there was an adult nearby that I trusted... so I was safe enough.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Meeting a girl I've been talking to online in real life for the first time... [ 66 Answers ]

I've been talking to this girl from Match.com for a few weeks now on AIM and on the phone, and tomorrow night we're meeting for the first time in real life. I'm keeping it to a short and casual dinner after we both get off work. Any advice? I've never done this before and I'm kind of...

How to start a conversation up when first meeting a girl [ 3 Answers ]

What should I start to talk about if see a girl at the mall and want to talk to them?

Are online dating or meeting services okay? [ 12 Answers ]

Does anyone have an opinion about whether online dating/meet-up services are worthwhile? I've heard some pro's and con's.

Meeting guy for the first time. [ 8 Answers ]

I met a guy about 6 months ago online. We email, I.M, and/or talk on the phone everday. He is in the military and recently left for Germany. We continue to email and talk when we can and have gotten to know each other pretty well considering its over the internet. I actually really like his thus...

Meeting a girl at church [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, this my first time to ask here and I hope everyone can help me. It sounds pretty pathetic but I want to ask how to approach this girl at church. I go to church every Sunday and so does she. I really like this girl but don't know how to start talking to her. If we were in a bar, it'd be easy but...

View more questions Search