Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beautydodo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2009, 10:48 PM
    Why steam is hotter than the hot water?
    I want to know why the steam is hotter than the hot water?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2009, 10:50 PM

It's all the same molecules, but what happens is as it gets hotter, the molecules spread out. So in order for there to be steam, it has to get so hot that the molecules spread that far apart. And then when it cools, the molecules move closer again and condense back into liquid. Make sense? Did I explain that clearly?
    beautydodo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2009, 10:54 PM

Please explain more clear.
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2009, 10:59 PM

What part? What's still confusing you?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 05:03 AM
    I want to know why the steam is hotter than the hot water?
    At 1 atmosphere of pressure, water is liquid between 0 C and 100 C. At 100 C, it is converted to steam (vapor) by absorbing the latent heat of vaporization. At 100 C, both vapor and liquid co-exist. Above 100 C, it is only steam.

If you were to expose something cold to steam, the steam would cool to 100 C and give up to the cold body, the specific heat of steam. Once it reached 100 C, it would condense and give up to the cold body the specific heat of vaporization (enthalpy of vaporization).

Specific heat capacity, ice: 2.108 kJ/kg-K
    Specific heat capacity, water: 4.187 kJ/kg-K
    Specific heat capacity, water vapor: 1.996 kJ/-kgK

Enthalpy of vaporization (liquid-vapor) 2257 kJ/kg

There are two things to note. First, the specific heat of water is more than double that of steam. That's because of the hydrogen bonds that are broken when water vaporizes. Second, note how much higher the enthalpy of vaporization is than any of the specific heats. There is a lot of energy in steam! This is the main reason why people say that steam is much hotter than hot water. Steam and water may be at or nearly at the same temperature, but there's a lot of energy in the steam that is not in the water.
    selvarajra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2010, 10:14 AM
    Mr Perito has explained it very nicely
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2010, 10:22 AM

selvarajra, do you see the little agree and disagree buttons under the posts? If you agree, you can click the agree bubble, write a comment, and then that user will get what's called a "greenie." and we all like greenies :) but be careful if you disagree with anyone. The disagree is only to be used for FACTUALLY incorrect advice, not differences of opinion. Hope you enjoy amhd :)
    sandhir Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2010, 05:41 AM
    When steam comes in contact with a person, it converts to water releasing the heat of vapourisation which is 1700 calories per gramme of steam. This heat is released on the person. When hot water falls upon a person, only the latent heat of water is released upon the person. Normally only about 40 calories are realsed per gramme of water.
    sandhir Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2010, 05:41 AM
    When steam comes in contact with a person, it converts to water releasing the heat of vapourisation which is 1700 calories per gramme of steam. This heat is released on the person. When hot water falls upon a person, only the latent heat of water is released upon the person. Normally only about 40 calories are realsed per gramme of water.
    mykel1938 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2010, 06:05 PM
    You people are talking about two different things, heat content and tepm. Saturated steam is only as hot as the water it is made from. If you want it hotter you must superheat it, i.e.. Remove it from contact with the water it was made from and heat it separately. Water boils @212f, as the pressure rises in a boiler, the steam and water get hotter but not different temp.. To cause that to happen you must remove the steam from contact with the water it wsa made from. Google, saturated steam, superheated steam, how boilers work, steam tables (not the kind you find in restaurants).
    kkm80123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2010, 02:04 AM
    Because heat transfer rate of steam is higher in compare to other any other liquid
    D.Anbunathan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2010, 10:46 PM
    Water in liquid form exist in the same state up to the temperature of 100 degree. When the heating goes more than 100 it is converted into gaseous form and this can attain little more heat and be in the same form. Hence the vapour is felt hotter than water. It is with no technical words so that many can understand without confusion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Moving stop to allow hotter water in tub faucet [ 3 Answers ]

I'm trying to increase hot water flow through bath tup faucet. I can only get handle to luke warm.

Will a hot tubs water be hotter with 220 than 110? [ 6 Answers ]

We purchased a used hot tub with out a manuel. It is 110 now, the water is 75 degrees. We do not want to spend money on wireing 220 if it will not get any hotter. It seems to me that the water heater is a water heater, and that no matter what type of hook up we have it will only get as hot as it...

My hot water suddenly got hotter and is staying hot [ 2 Answers ]

Not sure if this is anything to get overly concerned about, so I thought I would ask before spending lots of money on a plumber. I have a 75 gal hot water tank and a water softener system. This past week our hot water that is coming out of all of our hot water spigots is VERY hot. I did not mess...

Water Hammer on Hot water loop of Steam Boiler System [ 3 Answers ]

We have a steam boiler that provides steam for most of the house but also has a hot water loop for the additions. We have been getting a lot of water hammer and it sounds as if it is coming from the area where the first hot water radiator starts (ie it is from the hot water loop). Does anyone...

What is hotter, the boiling water or the steam? [ 7 Answers ]

What is hotter, the boiling water or the steam?

View more questions Search