Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jigz1311 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Oct 20, 2009, 06:22 PM
    Girls Group
    Once a week I will be leading an hour long girls group after school and am looking for some additional activitie/topic ideas.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2009, 11:49 PM
    Hi, jigz1311!

What will be the purpose of the girls group, please? It would be helpful to know that.

Thanks!
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 12:19 AM

Also, what age group?
    Ginny Finny Posts: 54, Reputation: 6

Oct 21, 2009, 12:38 AM

As much info as you can give would be great
    jigz1311 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Oct 21, 2009, 08:47 PM

Sorry, didn't realize how little detail there was! It's 4th and 5th grade. We will do a wide variety of things from arts and crafts, games, cooking, and discussions... both casual and more serious.
    rockie100 Posts: 313, Reputation: 64

Oct 21, 2009, 09:05 PM

Once a week you could have a member pick a subject to share with the group. This subject could be about anything. It could be a demonstration, a speech, an open discussion.

You could arrange field trips. To an art gallery, or a point of interest in your area.
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 11:13 PM
    Hi again, jigz1311!

So, will any of what you might like to do with them concerning the arts and/or crafts have anything to do with music, please?

There are many craft projects that could have something to do with music. I was a music teacher for many years and also combined art and cultural awareness types of things with what I taught.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 11:17 PM

Do you know how to knit? I always wanted to learn. But it wasn't until I was a senior in high school that my grandmother finally came to live near the rest of my family. She was the only one with enough patience and time to teach me. The girls could learn to knit something simple like scarves for christmas, or whatever holiday they like.
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 11:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious55 View Post
    do you know how to knit? i always wanted to learn. but it wasn't until i was a senior in high school that my grandmother finally came to live near the rest of my family. she was the only one with enough patience and time to teach me. the girls could learn to knit something simple like scarves for christmas, or whatever holiday they like.
    Hi, justcurious55!

Perhaps there might even be the possibility that a grandmother or more or even mothers could be invited in to help to teach the girls?

How many girls are expected to be in the girls group, jigz1311?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 11:28 PM

Had to spread the rep clough, but that's a great idea too.

Now I'm trying to remember other things I did when I was younger. I always liked the self defense courses they would have us do when I was in girl scouts or other groups. I think it's very important for everyone, but especially young woman, to be able to defend themselves. Sometimes I even wrestle with my boyfriend now just to make sure I still remember everything.

If it's possible, I was about that age when I started learning to bake. Maybe some cookies and chocolate molds would be fun too!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 11:34 PM

Teach them how to sew on a button and how to hem (shorten) something. I taught my Cub Scout den those two things, and their mothers wept with joy. Even with all our modern, easy-care clothes nowadays, those are the two things everyone should know how to do.

Also, depending on how many girls there are and your work space, teach them the basics of cooking and baking simple things. Their future husbands will weep with joy.

This sounds like fun -- and a terrific age for you to work with!
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 11:39 PM
    Hi again, justcurious55!

Baking and simple cooking things would be good! I wonder what sort of facilities that they have that might facilitate doing those sort of things?

But, we'll have to wait to find out what they have available...

Thanks!

Oct 21, 2009, 11:40 PM

How about career day. You could start group by asking them to write down what they want to be when they grow up. After review, you could get some female examples to hold a question and answer session.
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2009, 11:40 PM
    Darn it, Wondergirl! (Pun intended!)

You type so fast! :)

Oct 21, 2009, 11:59 PM

Great age to talk about diversity. After talking about cultures different from their own. They could make posters to display around the school illustating what it means to them.

Oct 22, 2009, 12:05 AM

You could, as a group, write a children's book. Have copies bound and soforth. Every girl could have a copy. (small fee could apply) All of their names listed as authors and illustrators. Keepsakes for any parent for sure.
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2009, 12:06 AM
    I've made over 1,000 of these with kids and no kid has ever had to pay for one.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/crafts...-132272-3.html

There are also other types of simple musical instruments that kids can make.

I realize that I'm "tooting my own horn" here, but I just wanted to stress that doing something musically, concerning a craft, can teach a child about a lot of things.

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2009, 12:17 AM
    As a child I always loved show and tell. You could have pet day. They could bring a picture of their pet. Talk about the needed care of them. They could exchange funny pet stories.

(hope Im on the right track... I just keep coming up with stuff)
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2009, 01:29 AM

Wondergirl agrees: I am Woman -- hear me roar!! Now do I owe you a batch of brownies?
    Yes, you owe me a batch of brownies! I prefer them to be homemade!

I hope that you'll be sending them soon!

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2009, 02:12 AM

Pen Pals! Have them write letters to girls, their age, in different countries. Who doesn't like to get mail? I remember being so excited when I would see my own name on an envelope.

Not so excited now... this guy Bill keeps sending me letters. Lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does being a teacher differ from age group to age group? [ 5 Answers ]

How does being a teacher differ from age group to age group?

Group - A & Group-T shares [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just want to know what are Group-A shares & Group-T shares and what we mean by that. On what basis this groupings are done

Do guys tend to lose interest in girls more quickly if the girls are easily dated? [ 11 Answers ]

It seems like most of the guys that I have dated lost interest in me if we started dating fairly quickly and easily. It seemed to happen even more quickly once we were in a relationship and I asked if we could go out to certain events or see certain things. Then most of the guys that have asked...

I am haviing o positive blood group my husband also having same opostive blood group [ 1 Answers ]

I am haviing o positive blood group my husband is also having same o positive blood group. If we have same blood group any problem will arise during my pregnancy. I can have Healthy cchild after my birth. I want to know the correct answer for my question

View more questions Search