Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2003, 04:57 AM
    Dog
    Hello,
    I have a dog. He is a tibetian terrier and he bites anyone who comes home especially kids and he does it all the time even if he is tied and he also bites some of us at home. What can we do to stop him?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2003, 03:01 PM
    dog
    There are 2 forms of biting, and I can't tell from your question which problem it is. Biting is aa natural way for puppies to play. This in not as big of a problem as the aggressive biting, but still needs to be corrected. In the aggressive biting, the dog will have its nose wrinkled up and make quick snaps, along with low growls. In both cases, you need to take over as top dog and quickly correct it every time it bites for whatever reason. It is confused about who is in charge. It is quite possible it is used tobeing in charge, and intends to stay in charge. Likely it is already neutered,but do so now if not. Dogs with behavior problems should never be bred. Then
    You need to take over as top dog. Having a good pack structure reduces such problems. The dogs see all the
    People and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack
    Members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by
    Reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you learning to be top dog, not the dog learning it gets a treat if it sits. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/.

Young Labs, which I know best, and other puppies tend to very bad about
    Biting. You see a litter of them, and all the ones that are awake are biting another one or themselves. I am not even sure they realize that when they are
    Alone, if they quit biting, they would quit being bitten. At 3 to 4 months they are getting their adult teeth, and it seems they spend every waking moment biting or chewing. I maintain a Lab's favorite chew toy is another Lab. Otherwise they settle for any person they can. They keep
    Hoping to findone that won't yelp and jerk their hand away, or growl "Bad dog." and clamp their mouth shut. Then offer a chew toy. They keep trying despite hundreds
    Of corrections. Another good technique is to quit playing and go away. Besure to praise them when they are playing nice and not biting.

You just have to keep on correcting them, hundreds of times, not dozens.Provide sturdy, safe toys such as Kongs and Nylabones. Avoid things they can
    Chew pieces off and choke on them. Keep them away from electrical cords.Crates are essential for most young Labs and other dogs.

You need more help than I have here. Unfortunately Askme Help desk is limiting me on how long my answer can be. I am going to submit this and see if I can add more. You may need to submit another question.

labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2003, 03:04 PM
    dog
    Continued, this e I am concerned about your reference to him being tied. A dog should never be left unattended outside. Tethering a dog outside for a short time to relieve itself is OK, but it should be brought back inside as soon as it wants or you leave the house. Dogs naturally want to be with others. You and your family become its pack. A dog tied outside by its self is miserable, even alone in a fenced yard is not where it needs to be. A crate solves all the problems of the dog being inside. Other dogs may not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

If the dog hasn't been crated all along, start out putting the crate in one of its favorite sleeping spots. If you have able to trust the dog with a cushion, blanket, or bed, put it in the crate. Next, put its toys in, maybe treats too. Feeding the dog there is a great way to convince it the crate is a good place. It is also a great way to maintain order with more than one dog at feeding time.

I think I am suggesting a whole, new approach to having a dog. These methods will work. I can help you with other issues such as housebreaking and how to make him lead properly. Sometimes the little details can make a big difference if making something work. If you don't see how to do something I suggested, write back to me and ask about it. It would help if you said how old the dog was and some of its history. ems to be working.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search